Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iogikuma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2006, 10:24 PM
    Win 2003: Permanent drive letter 4 removable drive
    I have set up a backup system on Windows 2003 Server using 2 hot-swap removable drive drawers with hard drives in them. I have a pair of backup drives for each day of the week, with one drive imaging the OS partition and the other drive imaging the data partition. The system is working beautifully except for one problem.

I cannot work out how to get the OS to PERMANENTLY assign the drive letters S for the system backup drive and T for the data backup drive. (Also remember that the actual hard drives being used change daily, as that might be an extra complication.) The problem arises as soon as I change backup drives for the day. They are immediately recognized and assigned drive letters F & G rather than the drive letters S & T that I would like to assign them and which are set up in the backup software.

I do not wish to use F & G as there are times when a USB drive or other device will be mounted and that will throw the whole system out of whack once F and/or G are assigned to the USB drive(s). I need to be able to hot-swap and know that the drives will be assigned S & T so that the late-night backup will go through without problems.

I would appreciate any help and advice with this problem.
    interinfinity Posts: 142, Reputation: 8

Jan 30, 2008, 12:31 PM
    So when you go to drive manager, you can't do this?
    mikenco Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2010, 08:21 AM
    Take a look at this :

http://www.petri.co.il/control-usb-drive-letter-assignment-in-windows.htm

Mentions a usb drive letter tool.

We're in sort of the same situation; Win2K3 server when we swap the drives, it sees the drive, but just doesn't assign it a letter at all. Weird. Anyway, gave this util a shot, but, it saw the hotswap drives as sata (which, they are) and not as usb so it was of no help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drive letter not showing [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I have a hard disk of 10 gb. When I connect it in IDE 2, it gets detected in bios. But it is not showing the drive letter in my computer. Only the IDE 1 Hard disk drives letters are seen. Tell me what should be done to get the data from that hard disk. I am wating to you are reply. ...

USB hard drive, recognized but no volume letter [ 5 Answers ]

I just bought a USB External Hard Drive. But when I plug it into my laptop and Desktop computers, both running Win XP Pro, the system recognized it immediately And there is an "Safely remove Hardware" icon shown on the right bottom. But I can not find out the drive volume letter for this USB...

Drive letter for added hard drive not showing [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I have just added a second hard drive, with the jumpers set to slave. The bios does recognize the drive and the ribbon cable has been tested and is good. When the My Computer Icon, the drive letter for the second drive is not shown. There are two CD ROM's installed on the secondary IDE...

Reformating my hard drive 1/17/2003 [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am running Windows 98. I need to reformat my hard drive now. I've tried everything... My question is...

View more questions Search