Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    supercoolman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2010, 04:16 PM
    Landlord won't give a copy of credit report
    I just found a job in California after I graduated as a Canadian citizen from University of Toronto. I was looking around for a 1 bedroom apartment to rent. I submitted a rental application to an apartment management agent. I don't have SSN yet since I hasn't live in US for more than 10 days after I got my VISA, but the agent charged me $45 for credit check and said that because I am Canadian, so I have to pay extra $10 when any normal US citizen pays $35 only. I requested a copy of the credit report on me before she charged me and she said no problem. Few hours after, she said my credit check shows that I'm good and they have accepted my rental application. I then requested a copy of my credit report, which she had used to accept my credit check, but she made an excuse said that credit report will only be available when her manager comes to work a few days after on a Monday in the afternoon. That's fine with me, I could come in on Monday to get the overpriced credit report. However, I found another place to rent at a reasonable price and canceled my application before that Monday. I think I am still entitled to get a copy of my credit report since they charged my $10 more just because I am a Canadian, but they made a second excuse saying that everyone including the manager doesn't have access to my credit report. What should I do now?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2010, 04:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by supercoolman View Post
    What should I do now?
    Hello s:

Nothing. Yes, they made a verbal agreement to give you a copy, but other than that, they have no legal obligation for sharing that information with you. So, unless you want to sue them for $45, forget about it.

You CAN get a FREE copy of your credit report by visiting annualcreditreport.com.

excon

Aug 25, 2010, 06:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello s:

Nothing. Yes, they made a verbal agreement to give you a copy, but other than that, they have no legal obligation for sharing that information with you. So, unless you want to sue them for $45, forget about it.

You CAN get a FREE copy of your credit report by visiting annualcreditreport.com.

excon
    Thanks for the info, but I don't have my SSN to get a free report on annualcreditreport.com at the moment, maybe in a few weeks. My friends told me about the civil act 1950.6.f at CA Codes (civ:1940-1954.1) before I started looking for apartment, but I don't know if it applies here. Not that I want to sue them for the $45, but I do want to know if that extra $10 was a discrimination against me or a normal surcharge ONLY for Canadians, but not citizens from all other nations in this world? They also charged me another $500 for deposit before they check my credit report. I am concerned if charging me $545 before accepting my application was legal. I really want to get my premium priced credit report.

All in all, I have two questions.

1. Is it legal to charge me extra money and not showing me how much they spent out of their pocket for screening me and charge $500 as deposit before they screen me for my credit?

2. Am I entitled to get a copy of the credit report under California's Civil Act, which they used to claim that I have a good score for their acceptance of my rental application when I don't have SSN?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 25, 2010, 06:51 PM

The law says you are entitled to a copy of your credit report if its used to refuse you credit. Since you were approved you are not entitled.

As for the extra fee, you agreed to pay it. They can set any fee they want.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2010, 06:59 PM

Hello again, s:

I'm sure it WAS discrimination. I don't know if being a Canadian puts you in a protected class of people. Only certain people are protected against discrimination in this country. I would say that national origin WOULD qualify you, but that's not my field of expertise. Other than that, they're allowed to charge whatever they want, and they can change prices with every prospect.

I think the MESSAGE they were giving you, is "we don't want no foreigners here".

I have NO idea how they did a credit check on you WITHOUT an SS. I think they kept the money and lied to you. That's not illegal either. Maybe they did the eyeball credit check. That's when you look at somebody in the eye to detect their creditworthiness. Yes, some even charge $45 for it - $55 for Canadians.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 25, 2010, 07:35 PM

If there is a fee to get a out of nation credit report, ( and it may be) The issue here would be if they had refused, Also they are not required to give you a copy unless you were refused because of it.

Aug 25, 2010, 07:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    The law says you are entitled to a copy of your credit report if its used to refuse you credit. Since you were approved you are not entitled.

As for the extra fee, you agreed to pay it. They can set any fee they want.

Thanks for clarification.

I've learned my lesson the hard way. Now I am trying to get that deposit back because they haven't refund me the deposit yet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can the mortgage company still report a foreclosure on my credit report ? [ 6 Answers ]

In 2005 I filed bankruptcy and did not reaffirm my mortgage. I am walking away from my house 2010 - can the mortgage company still report a foreclosure on my credit report now, in 2010, even though I am not longer responsible and it was included and is already on my credit report as forgiven back...

Can a debt collector report on a credit report that the wrong date was open [ 2 Answers ]

Your post is somewhat confusing, but this is my best guess: You opened a credit card in 2005 and defaulted on the payments. The credit card company sold the debt to a collection agency, probably in 2008, so the agency is listing their open date as 2008. You want to know if this is legal......

Landlord won't give me a copy of my lease ! [ 7 Answers ]

I rented a large 3 bedroom 1/2 house in Newburyport, Massachusetts back in May 15, 2008. I signed a 6 month lease with the landlord and then she told me that she had to make a copy for me and would have it for me the following day. I started moving my things in that day. I have now been here...

Can my landlord report me to credit agencies if I break my lease? [ 5 Answers ]

I signed up for a year long extension of my lease last October with the termination date of 10/31/07. I have decided to move in with my boyfriend, who lives in another school district. In order to have my daughter move prior to the start of the school year, I advised my landlord that I would like...

Landlord Refusing to Give us Copy of Lease [ 5 Answers ]

I'm going to live in a house in New Brunswick, NJ with a couple of other people and we all signed the lease. Some of us paid for our security deposit and rent already, but some of the others us didn't. The landlord is refusing to give us a copy of the lease until more of us pay, although we're...

View more questions Search