Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2010, 02:50 PM
    Desktop computer won't turn on
    I have a desktop computer that won't turn on. I push the power button but nothing happens.. It worked one day and the next day I went to turn it on and ntohing happened...

What are something's I can do to see if I can get it working? I don't really know much about computer's so I have no idea where to start..
    Jlesnik33 Posts: 235, Reputation: 26

Aug 25, 2010, 03:07 PM

This might not be it, but that happened to my grandparents once, and it was because it was dusty, and was over heating there for it wouldn't turn on.

Other then that I really don't know much. Sorry.
    Hope that could help a little.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Aug 25, 2010, 03:07 PM

Check power - wall outlet, power strip (dog step on switch?), recent thunderstorm, cord fell out of socket on back of computer, etc. If there is power available, but the computer doesn't even hiccup (fans turn for a second) when the power button is pushed, then the power supply or motherboard could have an issue or more rarely the switch itself. The wiring from the switch to the motherboard should also be inspected for proper connection. If it does hiccup and then shuts off again, both power supply or motherboard could still be the culprit, but more often it is a issue with memory or another component. Depowering the board by removing the cord and removing and reinstalling the memory modules sometimes corrects this situation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Researching for a new desktop computer [ 3 Answers ]

I am in the process of replacing my old HP desktop with a new unit. My current desktop is operating with Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002 Service Pack 3. I'm not sure it is a 32 bit or 64 bit but I assume being a 2002 model it is probably a 32 bit. If I buy a new PC with Windows 7, will I...

How to unlock desktop computer [ 1 Answers ]

How to unlock desktop

Desktop won't turn on and the light is orange [ 2 Answers ]

When I saw the Blue Screen Of Death I didn't know what to do, so I took of the plug. After plugging it off, I plugged it back in. Next thing I know the computer was not turning on. What happened and what do I do? Are my files safe?

Shock from Desktop Computer [ 2 Answers ]

I have been getting small shocks from the case of my desktop computer,(especially the screws that hold the cover on). Where can I look to correct this problem? I have tried changing cords and plugs, and this does not seem to help, so I would guess that it has something to do with the computer...

Connecting a GPS to Desktop Computer [ 1 Answers ]

How can I have my desktop computer communicate with my GPS? My computer is a Dell Dimension 8200 running windows XP version 5.1 with SP 1. My GPS is a Garmin eTrex Vista that needs to connect to the desktop to upload & download information from MapSource (v 4.07) software via a serial cable. ...

View more questions Search