Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wingsyorkshire Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2010, 11:49 AM
    Why do goldfish gulp air but in a pond not tank?
    Hi we have a middle size garden pond holds about 2000 litres. This last month we have found that the fish are staying at the top nearly all the time. We have approx. 25 fish ranging from 4inches to 10inches. They are all some type of goldfish although lots of different colours. We have a fountain in it and also two water pumps to keep the air flowing. One of the pumps works a waterfall, this has not been working this year. Could anyone help please?
    Wingsyorkshire
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2010, 11:54 AM

I believe the cause is not enough oxygen in the water - do you have plants and a filtration system?
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2010, 08:13 PM

Definitely due to not enough oxygen in the water. You might want to invest in some air stones (you'll have to buy for a large tank, these aren't available for ponds.. purchase for 125-150 gal tanks) if you don't plan on starting up your waterfall.

Water circulation isn't enough to put oxygen into the water. The waterfall is a great example of putting oxygen into the water.. Air is pushed into the water by the waterfall.

You also might want to get your water tested. Goldfish/koi are dirty fish. They produce a lot of waste and will actually create toxic water. The poisonous stuff sits at the bottom creating an unhealthy habitat for the fish. If it gets bad enough, they will start to go to the surface for air.. If it gets really bad, they'll actually jump out of the water to try and escape the filth. There are products out to help regulate ammonia levels in ponds. You can find them at any garden supply store that carries pond equipment..

Hope I helped!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Goldfish tank pump [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me what size pump I need for a 420 litre fish tank:confused:i have had the tank for over a year and have recently moved to acreage and tank water my fish are gasping for oxygen and the filter is constantly black what can I do to help my fish

Air bubbles in my goldfish tank [ 3 Answers ]

I have a small hexagon tank for my 2 goldfish, it has a filter that pumps out small air bubbles into the tank, the tank is around 15 litres. I am worried because there seems to be a lot of air bubbles in the tank, will this harm my fish?

I have two goldfish fish, staying at the bottom of the tank [ 1 Answers ]

Actually, maybe I should say that I have two goldfishes. One lionheaded and one silver, much smaller than the other one. The little one doesn't seem to have any symptoms, only that he is keeping compay to the big one, on the bottom of the tank (which I had also observed as something wrong, they are...

Goldfish pond Algae [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm having a terrible time with algae in our goldfish pond, 150 gallon. I've tried throwing pennies in the pond pre 1986(Iread this in a book), algaecides, algae eaters and chlorine (which I hate to say killed my fish). Does anyone know a solution for this problem??

Green algae in my goldfish tank water [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 55 gallon fish tank with 2 very large goldfish (6 in from tip to tail). Three weeks ago I started to have green water after I did a 25% water change. I t came on very fast and any algae killer I put in was a waste of time. After a week I did a 50% water change and the same thing has...

View more questions Search