Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mini_Her Posts: 145, Reputation: 4

Aug 24, 2010, 12:05 PM
    Anybody here ever had laughing gas?
    Has anyone ever had the laughing gas sedative during a root canal?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2010, 12:07 PM

Nitrous oxide? Yes, I have.

Aug 24, 2010, 12:12 PM

Did you feel any pain at all during the procedure? I am getting mixed emotions about the laughing gas sedative.
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2010, 12:12 PM

No, I was fine, no pain at all and a LOT less pain than the injections I have had in the past.

In fact, I remember none of the procedure.

Aug 24, 2010, 12:14 PM

WOWWW! You don't remember the procedure? LOL... Was it a root canal or extraction that you received?
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2010, 12:16 PM

Root canal but a bad one - first one went bad because the Dentist hadn't completely cleaned out the tooth. The infection (which was painful but not terrible until the end) had to be cleaned out and the procedure (to a large extent) repeated as well as damage to the bone repaired.

The problem was that my insurance would ONLY cover the injections but I had been through so much at that time that I was happy to pay the difference.

The needles in the roof of my mouth were beyond description!

Flossie is our expert. Let me see if I can find her.

Aug 24, 2010, 12:23 PM

It seems your experience was similar to mine. I had anesthesia shot into the roof of my mouth and into my gums but the drilling of the root canal still caused pain. Now a few people suggest that I try another root canal with laughing gas, but others say laughing gas doesn't help with pain.

So, while they were cleaning out the infection, you didn't feel anything? I am not sure if I have an infection. How can you tell when there's an infection?
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2010, 12:29 PM

I had the kind of pain where you consider shooting yourself, throbbing, a very swollen face, fever, eye swollen closed.

Now that you mention it I'm not certain that I didn't get a shot to the gum PLUS the gas - I KNOW there were no shots in the hinge of my jaw and/or the roof of my mouth.

Flossie? Where are you?

I'd ask the Dentist directly - see what his/her advice is.

I'd like to know what you do experience.

Aug 24, 2010, 12:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I had the kind of pain where you consider shooting yourself, throbbing, a very swollen face, fever, eye swollen closed.

Now that you mention it I'm not certain that I didn't get a shot to the gum PLUS the gas - I KNOW there were no shots in the hinge of my jaw and/or the roof of my mouth.

Flossie? Where are you?

I'd ask the Dentist directly - see what his/her advice is.

I'd like to know what you do experience.
    You're right about consider shooting... I feel like life is not worth living with this pain. Based on your experience, I might just have the root canal finished with the laughing gas. Flossie informed me of the different sedatives but if I remember correctly, she said the laughing gas wouldn't help pain. Thanks for the advice!
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2010, 12:56 PM

Let's hope she comes along - if it doesn't help pain, I wonder what the point of it is - ?

This would appear to say that it is an anesthetic (which would cause you not to experience pain during the procedure) but maybe I'm not understanding it properly: "When nitrous oxide is inhaled as the only anesthetic drug, it is normally administered as a mixture with 30% gas and 70% oxygen.[21] The medical grade gas tanks, with the tradename Entonox and Nitronox contain a mixture with 50%, but this will normally be diluted to a lower percentage upon the operational dilevery to the patient. Inhalation of nitrous oxide is frequently used to relieve pain associated with childbirth, trauma, oral surgery, and heart attacks." Nitrous oxide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Confused - ?

Aug 24, 2010, 01:05 PM

Exactly. That's why I get confused! Some say it helps pain, while others say otherwise.

See Flossie's response to me on another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by flossie View Post
    Laughing gas is VERY LIGHT. You should probably be trying a sedation that you take orally. The dentist can prescribe something you take the night before and then the morning of the procedure. Can't guarantee you won't feel any pain. The only one that can guarantee that would be the general anesthetic.
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2010, 01:10 PM

Well, after reading that I'm really confused. I would suggest that the Dentist hit you over the head with a mallet and THEN administer the laughing gas!

Aug 24, 2010, 01:20 PM

How can I tell if I have an infection?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 24, 2010, 01:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mini_Her View Post
    Flossie informed me of the different sedatives but if I remember correctly, she said the laughing gas wouldn't help pain.
    The laughing gas knocks you out enough so you are no longer aware of sensations. The dentist could pull out your fingernails, and you wouldn't react, yet when you "come to," there would be pain. He could instead clip your nails for you while you are "out," and you would have no residual pain.

When my son has had laughing gas, say for a difficult filling, the dentist numbs his gum(s) AFTER he begins to administer the gas. When Daniel returns to full consciousness, his mouth is still numb and will prevent any pain until he can get to the Advil or get a pain med prescription filled. There have been many times that, once the numbing agent has worn off, he has had no pain, so no need for Advil or a prescription med.

Everyone's tolerance for pain is different. So much depends on that and what the dentist finds and has to deal with when he works on a tooth.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 24, 2010, 01:27 PM
    How can I tell if I have an infection?
    You might not be able to tell by looking. Is your gum swollen or red? NO? How about, does the tooth hurt when you eat or press down on it? Does this get worse day by day? Does Advil relieve the pain and swelling? Is there a sharp pain only when you eat or drink something cold? You have to do an exhaustive questioning of yourself, and then you still may not be sure.

Aug 24, 2010, 01:30 PM

Thanks WonderGirl... I'm still confused. You say you wouldn't react to the pain but "when you come to" there would be pain. What is "come to"? LOL... Excuse my ignorance please.

Aug 24, 2010, 01:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    You might not be able to tell by looking. Is your gum swollen or red? NO? How about, does the tooth hurt when you eat or press down on it? Does this get worse day by day? Does Advil relieve the pain and swelling? Is there a sharp pain only when you eat or drink something cold? You have to do an exhaustive questioning of yourself, and then you still may not be sure.
    My gum isn't swollen or red. I get pain when I eat just about anything, hot, cold, sweet. Some days it hurts horribly while some days I forget that it's there. Advil does relieve the pain, sometimes. And YES--A ridiculously sharp pain when I drink/eat cold food. Does it sound like an infection?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 24, 2010, 01:41 PM
    Thanks WonderGirl...I'm still confused. You say you wouldn't react to the pain but "when you come to" there would be pain. What is "come to"? LOL...Excuse my ignorance please.
    When you are given laughing gas, you are aware of your surroundings but don't care. When you are no longer under the influence of laughing gas, you experience your surroundings as usual.

laughing gas = light
    sedation = moderate
    general anesthesia = total unconsciousness
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2010, 11:23 PM

OK guys. I've had general anesthesia in an OR at a hospital for 4 extractions.

I've had an extraction using nitrous.

I've had a root canal.

I've had an infection associated with an impant: Oral antibiotics. Cut open. Irrigate. New set of antibiotics. Infections you can see and sometimes taste.

OK that said.

Root canals start hurting hours after the procedure with just novocain. Little pain during the procedure, but tooth's nerves weren't compromised at that point even though it had been perforated.

You have pain before the procedure, so anything you can do to cal things down first will be good. e.g. infections are cleared up.

You ALWAYS medicate prior to the pain kicking in. You will require less medication overall.

Anxiety issues and pre medication can be handled with say Valium.

Nitrous isn't used alone. It's supplimental. As was pointed out, your aware of what's happening but your not really aware of the details. My tooth was a shell. It had decayed from the inside out.

So, when they were plucking little pieces out of my jaw and digging for them it wasn't painful. The gas wears off quickly and then you have the standard novocain to deal with.

Novocain comes in various formlations which affect how long it wears off.

So, it starts acheing when the Novocain wears off. Let's not use hurting.

So, you use the time just after the procedure to get the oral pain meds filled.

The recommended procedure for extractions is having lots of Neutrament purchased beforehand. No chocolate and no sugar.

Now, I've also had crown lengthing. The goal her is to prevent the pain from even starting, so it's ice every 20 minutes whether in pain or not and for the first few hours your keeping the wounds clean and removing blood.

Prevention of severe pain is big time better.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2010, 04:31 AM
    Here is an excellent website that will explain ALL about the different types of sedations available. It will definitely help you make a more educated decision.

Sedation Dentistry....Dental Sedation....Conscious Sedation....Relaxation Dentistry

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Songs talking about laughing [ 3 Answers ]

I heard a song on the radio today, it was a man singing about all he wants in life is to laugh, or something like that. I can't remember the song title, and I would really like to share this song with my boyfriend because it is so sweet! Please help!

Using laughing gas on my two year old son [ 3 Answers ]

My son went to the ped. Dentist yesturday he needs his 4 frint teeth removed and a root canal on one od them , my question is when they use 'laughing gas' on him will he feel them working on him and the pain she gets scard easy what dose laughing gas do to you do you fell anything are you aware for...

Jokes for your laughing pleasure! [ 22 Answers ]

Question: Are you an organ donor? Answer: No, but I once gave an old piano to the Salvation Army! A young boy visited his neighbor and asked him if he could see his "trap". The neighbor replied "My trap, what do you mean I don't have a "My trap, what do you mean I don't have a "? The boy...

Laughing Gas [ 10 Answers ]

Is laughing gas (nitros oxide or something like that) harmful? I have a friend who's dad is a dentist and has an office next to her house. She and some of my friends have gone down there and used the laughing gas to kind of get high like with drugs but not as bad. They say it just makes them...

Laughing as I orgasm [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend as often laughed at the many times he can give me an orgasm within one time of making love he's even tried to count at one point but after the fifth one he lost count. He's just gotten a divorce four months ago and we're moving her things out the apt (she took off to cali leaving their...

View more questions Search