Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WeAreLost Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

Aug 24, 2010, 06:53 AM
    How do you know if fruit is sweet
    Does anybody know what I'm talking about when I say some fruit I buy in the local grocery is so tastless its not that its bad tasting but it lacks the one thing I always ask the grocer, whose standing around putting fruit on the shelf, "is it sweet" Really most of the time the honest answer I get is "these I haven't tried" and the down right dishonest answer is the big "YES". I for one am sick and tired of eating tastless produce, why can't they tell me with 100% acuratacy how sweet it is? Especially, all kinds of melons. It's either I pour sugar on top like I do for corn flakes or I return them. The biggest problem I have returning is that a water melon a honey dew cantalope they are big and heavy. So great here I go I'm disabled I can't walk far without my ankels and knee start to buckel and hurt especially when the more weight I carry the worse it is and cime on who returns a melon I do. But I hate doing it, it's a big waste of time also! Maybe I should start considering fruit as an item needing a condimint like burgers get ketchup and now fruit gets raspberry jam? Don't get me wrong there are some fruits that are fine I'm sure but I probably don't like it!! HOW DO I JUSTIFY PAYING FOR FRUIT AND HOPPING WHEN I GET HOME AND GET IT COLD THAT IT JUST EXPLODES WITH A SWEET AND REFRESHING MOUTHFUL AND WHAT DO I DO WHEN That's NOT THE CASE? I feel that these fruits should be tested for there sweetness and then the amount of sugar put with the fruit and the price.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2010, 01:37 AM
    Hi, WeAreLost!

It's true that some fruits aren't all that sweet. However, the ones that are supposed to be sweet, it's usually because they aren't ripe enough to be eaten.

If you want to know how to tell if certain fruits are ripe enough to eat, please do ask!

Thanks!
    gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

Sep 15, 2010, 09:15 PM

This website gives an excellent answer to the question: How Can I Tell When Fruit is Ripe?

I am not a big fruit eater for the same reason. Some fruit and varieties of fruit are more dependable than others. Cherries seem to be pretty reliable. Also, the season is important for the ripeness of some species like avocados. They are inspected and released when mature. All avos picked after the release date do not need to be inspected.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fruit classification [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to understand how works the classification of fruits in stone fruit, nut and all these other kinds of fruits. What are the criterions which make i.e. the litchi a nut an the walnut a stone fruit ? If somebody could help me to understand the hole system (maybe the are explaining texts...

Fruit [ 1 Answers ]

Is it good to eat fruit when you are suffering from trapped wind?

Tree with compound leaf and green fruit. Fruit is a drupe. The fruit as Rhamnus but l [ 1 Answers ]

A Tree with compound leaf and green fruit. Fruit is a drupe. The fruit as Rhamnus but leaf nut. I want its name.

Sweet sweet blues music [ 19 Answers ]

Does anyone know if Howling Wolf or John Lee Hooker are still alive and if they are, are they still playing

Picking fruit [ 1 Answers ]

How do I know when a watermelon is ready for piching?

View more questions Search