Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2010, 11:20 PM

So... that's it? :confused:

EDIT: Okay, but I still don't get the pregnant thingy... bah, I'll leave it.
    Just Looking Posts: 1,610, Reputation: 480
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2010, 11:26 PM

I think we still have to figure out why he's dead. All we know is that he was in a hot air balloon.

Was there a problem with the balloon?

Did he jump? Was he pushed? Did he accidentally fall out?
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2010, 02:22 AM

As for the pregnant girl - you're actually embarrassed? LOL. But poor Unky doesn't get it. (I looked at your answer, cause I was a bit lost as to what you two were talking about and wasn't even sure what that was in reference to or who it was even addressed to. Oh, well, I would have never thought of that.)
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2010, 02:24 AM

Was he planning to strike the match but something happened to stop him?
    No.

Was the match being used for some other reason than a match is normally used and that's why it wasn't lit?
    Yes.

Is it relevant that his arm was stretched out?
    No.

The match was near his stretched out arm. Was he reaching for it? Did he want to light it? Possibly to see something in the dark?
    No, no and no.

Was there a problem with the balloon?
    Yes.

Did he jump?
    Yes.

Was he pushed?
    No.

Did he accidentally fall out?
    No.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2010, 02:29 AM

Would the match have saved him?

Is the match intact?

Did he use the match the way he intended to? Did he succeed?

I have no idea where we are going, just asking questions... maybe something will come...
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2010, 05:09 AM

Guy realized his balloon was going to crash if he didn't get it lit, and he couldn't get it lit so he thought he would live if he jumped. Maybe because he thought he was over water and thought he could survive the jump instead of the crash.
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2010, 06:57 AM

Was he alone in the balloon?

The match was being used for an alternate reason. He didn't plan to strike it. Was it to draw lots?

I'm thinking the balloon was carrying too much weight so the passengers decided someone had to leave. He drew the short match. (It seems like it might have been smarter to just land the balloon, but hey... it's a puzzle.)
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2010, 07:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Looking View Post
    Was he alone in the balloon?

The match was being used for an alternate reason. He didn't plan to strike it. Was it to draw lots?

I'm thinking the balloon was carrying too much weight so the passengers decided someone had to leave. He drew the short match. (It seems like it might have been smarter to just land the balloon, but hey ... it's a puzzle.)

Maybe the match was his twin.:rolleyes:
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2010, 08:47 AM

I thought maybe the match had an alternate meaning but had no idea what. I Like both answers above this.
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2010, 01:42 PM

I'm thinking the balloon was carrying too much weight so the passengers decided someone had to leave. He drew the short match. (It seems like it might have been smarter to just land the balloon, but hey ... it's a puzzle.)
    I'm glad I kept reading cause I didn't want to have to answer if the match could have saved him. (Yeah, if he'd gotten a different one.)

This is not totally correct but it's close enough - you got the gist and the important part. (It's nearly impossible to get all the details.)

Rest of the details: Balloon got punctured and they were losing altitude, which is why they had too much weight. They dumped everything they could including personal effects & clothing. (Though no one ever asked if he had anything besides the match.) So all that was left was for someone to jump.

I'd have to presume they would have dropped too fast for a safe landing and possibly killed everyone, but I never thought about it. What I did think about, however, is why he was hanging onto that match for dear life. :p (Maybe he was pretending it was rosary beads.)
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2010, 01:42 PM

BTW, for someone who isn't sure about these puzzles, you've asked good questions and you got it, so you obviously aren't exactly terrible at them. :-)
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2010, 01:45 PM

I'm racking my brain right now as this reminds me of something I just watched where the person who died held onto something for dear life and you had to wonder why. I'm thinking it was on Criminal Minds. Great - I'll wake up in the middle of the night remembering what it was.
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2010, 01:46 PM
    Does anyone else want to take the helm? (I've got places that have a ton of these, most of which I've never looked at the answers yet.) Not that I mind cause it's loads of fun, but it's also fun to do the other side occasionally.
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2010, 01:50 PM

Kitkat22 agrees : Darn it ! I was feeling so smart! Egad!!!!

Kit - You are smart. Sometimes I just crack up at your responses - they cut to the chase, are witty, and stated so perfectly.

Morgaine - I'll try one, but I should probably wait until Tuesday. We are heading to Yosemite for the long weekend, leaving at noon tomorrow. I don't know if it would finish in time.
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2010, 01:53 PM
    I'm racking my brain right now as this reminds me of something I just watched where the person who died held onto something for dear life and you had to wonder why. I'm thinking it was on Criminal Minds. Great - I'll wake up in the middle of the night remembering what it was.
    Was it Rossi who kept the bracelet of the mother who was killed? The three kids were the only survivors.
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2010, 01:54 PM
    As a note, I've found that most things in these can be taken quite literally. That is, a match is a match. These aren't word play puzzles. But you also can't read things into it that aren't there, so they can be tricky in that way. Most of them also tend to be realistically possible (as in, no magic, etc.), though many are highly improbable and a little ridiculous.
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2010, 01:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat22 View Post
    Was it Rossi who kept the bracelet of the mother who was killed? The three kids were the only survivors. ?
    Oops - I hit "agrees" by accident. I am thinking it was someone who died and was holding something in their arms. I know it will come to me at some point.
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2010, 01:57 PM
    How about I do another in the meantime, and you can do one when that is finished. I've got a full seven days in a row off both my jobs (yeah!) so I'm available to keep checking in. I do have some stuff I desperately need to get done while I have time, but it doesn't take me long to jump on and answer a few questions.
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2010, 01:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by morgaine300 View Post
    How about I do another in the meantime, and you can do one when that is finished. I've got a full seven days in a row off both my jobs (yeah!) so I'm available to keep checking in. I do have some stuff I desperately need to get done while I have time, but it doesn't take me long to jump on and answer a few questions.
    Sounds like fun. That will also give me time to find a good one. Good for you - 7 days off. I'm counting the days to October 9 when I get married and have almost 3 weeks off.
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2010, 02:01 PM

OK, I admit to some reluctancy on this one because I feel like it's difficult and more pieces to put together. But it is another one of the "classics" so I suppose it wouldn't be if people hated it. So I'll give it a go.

A man is returning from Switzerland by train. If he had been in a non-smoking car he would have died.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Lateral Thinking Puzzle [ 69 Answers ]

I decided to start a new thread cause ones that get really, really long start making me nutso after a while. This one shouldn't be as difficult as the albatross one was. (But I didn't say it was easy.) I flipped the tent flap open and surveyed the scene. On the floor, in the center of the...

Lateral Thinking Puzzle (Restaurant) [ 174 Answers ]

I brought this idea up on a different thread and a few said they were game, but anyone who cares to participate can. (Since this is games, is it OK to post it here, or should this move to the lounge or something?) The idea is that a scenario is given with very little detail, just a little...

Snafooz Puzzles [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone heard of Snafooz puzzles? It was a set of 6 progresively harder cube puzzles, I have difficulty 2 and 4 but want all 6... I can't find them anywhere except sites where they sell them as advertising materials and expect you to buy them in packs of several hundred at once. The website...

Puzzles [ 2 Answers ]

Who loves puzzles? I love puzzles so much, the rock. I have a favourite artist that dose puzzles

View more questions Search