Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cascadefarm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2010, 03:52 PM
    Ny penalty for violating HIPAA by a doctor who sent residents into two different hosp
    Please help me. I was in a hospital in 2010. Upstate NY. A doctor sent two residents into two different hospitals to retrieve my records. I know that this is a felony twice over. What are my rights?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 23, 2010, 04:05 PM

First no, it is not a felony anyway,
    By residents I will assume you mean medical doctors who are working their residency requirements. He is allowed to share that info with other medical persons. Next merely getting your records does not even mean they looked at them, they well could have been sealed in a envelope.

You have the right to thank the doctor for treating you, for going beyond normal standards and sending people to get your records instead of having them faxed ( to non medical people in a office)

So you have the right to complain about things you know nothing about
    Cascadefarm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2010, 04:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cascadefarm View Post
    Please help me. I was in a hospital in 2010. Upstate NY. A doctor sent two residents into two different hospitals to retrieve my records. I know that this is a felony twice over. What are my rights?
    First of all, it is a felony for a Heath care person, to knowingly and intentionally breach hipaa, this doctor wasn't my doctor, so he had no reason to send residents into two different hospitals to obtain my records and obtain them they did. As I have letters from both hospitals. Are you in NY?
    bleusong52 Posts: 239, Reputation: 46

Aug 24, 2010, 09:05 PM

Before you start in on correcting someone who posted to help you - why did you leave out the point that this doctor was not your doctor? So who was this doctor? How would he know you were treated at two other hospitals? How would he know about your files? How would he know about you, if he not treated you?

Do you want to fill in the rest of the story here?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 24, 2010, 10:41 PM

Sorry, but I don't see a HIPAA breach either. Looks like you were in a teaching hospital so your records are open to any resident and/or their attending for education purposes.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 24, 2010, 10:42 PM

Oh, and BTW... I am a nurse and I work in a teaching hospital.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Doctor violation of HIPAA law [ 6 Answers ]

Dr.A. access' Dr. B's patient medical charts(there has never been a reason/need for them to share patient medical info), embellishing the charts with false information and sends the patient files along with an anonymous complaint to the state medical board. Is this a HIPAA violation? How does Dr....

Is emailing a doctor a HIPAA violation? [ 1 Answers ]

I emailed my doctor regarding a health issue. I found out later he was out for a period and contacted his associate through a nurse. Today, the doctor returned and read my email. I was contacted by a nurse that said that I cannot email the doctor because it IS a HiPPA violation. She said it was not...

Hipaa Violations by a Doctor [ 7 Answers ]

If a person fell at a restaurant and was injured, sought medical treatment. The doctor told the owner of the restaurant that the person's injuries was exaserbated by his weight. Is this OK?

19 weeks pregnant and have gallstones I have been admitted into hosp [ 4 Answers ]

In 2 weeks they kep going on about segery but am nervous what can I do to prevent it

Daughters 9 yr old hosp. Bill showing up on my credit [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My daughter moved out of my house when she turned 18 and had her first child at age 19 in 1999. I got a call from a collection agency regarding medical bills totalling $400. I asked what it was for and knew that one was mine $51 worth that I immediately paid. I explained to the woman that...

View more questions Search