Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mini_Her Posts: 145, Reputation: 4

Aug 23, 2010, 01:32 PM
    Root canal... Experts please reply
    I had a root canal started today and even though the dentist numbed me with 3 or 4 different shots, I still felt HORRIBLE pain during the drilling! It literally felt like an electrical wire in my teeth! He had just begun the process, he was using some vibrating tool to open up the tooth. For the first few minutes the vibration didn't bother me. But he must have hit the nerve and I SCREAMED! I was numbed pretty well so I don't understand why I still felt pain! Any thoughts as to why this happened? Why did I still feel pain?

Any answers would be appreciated!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 23, 2010, 01:40 PM

Which tooth was he drilling ? A back molar which has four nerves? It sounds like the nerves in your tooth weren't dead yet, but then different people have reactions to pain, some low some high but just the same, the freezing should have been enough, maybe not enough. Kind of hard to answer your question not being able to see the X rays of tooth he was working on to determine just what was going on.

Was he able to finish the root canal to prepare for a crown? Or what ? Was the pain too much for him to finish his work ?

You couldn't have been numbed all that well.

tick

Aug 23, 2010, 01:55 PM

Hey, it was tooth number 12... so not in the back but not exact in the front, either. It has two canals and yes, the tooth is still alive.

No he did not finish. I was screaming and moving too much. He had to stop.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 23, 2010, 02:57 PM

What were you experiencing with the tooth prior to the root canal diagnosis because root canals aren't normally done if the tooth is healthy. Were you having trouble with pain in the tooth, abscessing, gum disease?

I am sorry for all of the questions, I don't understand why they had to do a root canal ?

Tick

Aug 23, 2010, 03:03 PM

It was very painful... it reacted to hot, cold and sweet food! The tooth next to it was extracted, and therefor the tooth had a little chip or opening if that's what you'd call it.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you need... Any help I can get would be great.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2010, 03:48 PM
    First question... why are you having a root canal done on a LIVE tooth??

Aug 23, 2010, 03:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by flossie View Post
    First question...why are you having a root canal done on a LIVE tooth????
    It was very painful... it reacted to hot, cold and sweet food! The tooth next to it was extracted, and therefor the tooth had a little chip or opening if that's what you'd call it.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 23, 2010, 03:57 PM
    First question...why are you having a root canal done on a LIVE tooth????
    Isn't that what is done? -- a living tooth is causing trouble, so the nerves are removed during a root canal, and the canals are filled with gutta percha? One the nerves are gone, the tooth should not experience any pain or other sensation.
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2010, 03:57 PM
    Had your bite been checked? It's possible with a tooth missing that this tooth has shifted and your bite (occlusion) could have been off. This causes you to irritate the tooth, ligaments and nerve by biting or grinding on it.

Clenching and grinding can also cause hot and cold sensitivity. Clenching and grinding is often done while we sleep, again irritating the tooth so that it becomes sensitive through the day.

Sweet sensitivity could be a cavity or root exposure (which can also cause sensitivity to temperature).

Erosion of the teeth can also cause these symptoms.

Was everything ruled out prior to the root canal being started?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 23, 2010, 04:01 PM

I'm guessing (like tickle) that your mouth had not been numbed properly or with enough anesthesia or the dentist hadn't waited long enough for the numbing agent to take effect. Some of my teeth have required four shots before the dentist could work on them.

Aug 23, 2010, 04:09 PM
    Had your bite been checked?? It's possible with a tooth missing that this tooth has shifted and your bite (occlusion) could have been off. This causes you to irritate the tooth, ligaments and nerve by biting or grinding on it.

Clenching and grinding can also cause hot and cold sensitivity. Clenching and grinding is often done while we sleep, again irritating the tooth so that it becomes sensitive through the day.

Sweet sensitivity could be a cavity or root exposure (which can also cause sensitivity to temperature).

Erosion of the teeth can also cause these symptoms.

Was everything ruled out prior to the root canal being started?
    I am not sure if they did those things. But, I will say that approximately 5 different dentist' saw the tooth and said I needed a root canal.

Aug 23, 2010, 04:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I'm guessing (like tickle) that your mouth had not been numbed properly or with enough anesthesia or the dentist hadn't waited long enough for the numbing agent to take effect. Some of my teeth have required four shots before the dentist could work on them.
    He did 3 regular shots then shot me with a different type of anesthesia, can't pronounce the name of it, though.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 23, 2010, 04:11 PM

Did he "shoot" you on both sides of the tooth?

Aug 23, 2010, 04:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Did he "shoot" you on both sides of the tooth?
    Yep. My mouth actually was rather numb. I just don't see what the problem was.

Aug 23, 2010, 04:22 PM

I read somewhere online that I might have an infection and would need to be on anti-biotics for 2 weeks before having the root canal. Could that be true?

Aug 23, 2010, 04:37 PM

Anyone know how I can kill the nerve in the tooth? I read that because the nerve is still living that might be the reason it's so painful. How can I kill the nerve?
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2010, 04:43 PM
    If the tooth has a large infection (seen by a large area of darkness around the root) it can be difficult to get a good freezing. I have known dentists to drip the anaesthetic solution right in to the canal where the live nerve is to try to freeze it that way.

Aug 23, 2010, 04:45 PM
    If the tooth has a large infection (seen by a large area of darkness around the root) it can be difficult to get a good freezing. I have known dentists to drip the anaesthetic solution right in to the canal where the live nerve is to try to freeze it that way.
    I think that's he did. But, do you think two weeks of anti-biotics (Ibuprofen and Amoxicillian) would help ease the pain/infection?
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2010, 04:50 PM
    It certainly should! It won't kill the nerve though.

Aug 23, 2010, 04:53 PM
    It certainly should! It won't kill the nerve though.
    Do you know how I can kill the nerve?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I really need a root canal? [ 3 Answers ]

April 2008: - my dentist put a filling into the top of my back, bottom molar -- she noted that it was a pretty small filling - the tooth didn't bother me at all prior to this - a couple days later I started getting an acute, sharp pain when I chewed on that side

Root canal [ 2 Answers ]

I had a re-do on a root canal on my upper right no.2 molar last one in back, wisdom teeth have been extracted. X-rays showed a cyst or pocket of infected area, or something. Re-do was successful though pocket area did not drain. I have had trouble focusing with my right eye before re-do and since,...

Re doing root canal [ 1 Answers ]

Before 16 years ago I have root canal and after that I have surgery (apicoectomy) .last year I put one bridge upper and now on tooth #8 I have pocket and I went to dentist ,they took x-ray and he said that the root canal failed and I have to do one more surgery.he said that if he do the root canal...

Root Canal [ 5 Answers ]

Hi There I just had the first part of a root canal done today... you know the part where they make a nice big hole in the tooth and take everything out... I have a temporary filling for now but I was wondering if there is anything special that I could do to "baby" this thing so there are no...

Root canal [ 2 Answers ]

I am on antibiotics for a root canal that is infected, it still swells and is uncomfortacle when I lay down at night. I had it exrayed , it wasn't cracked looked good, but is it bad since it won't get better at night. I have a temporary crown on it and when it swells is hits my bottom teeth is that...

View more questions Search