Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Vox Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2003, 10:33 PM
    NewTestament
    Hello...

Was the original new testament written entirely in greek, or was it also in latin or another language?
    cherepes Posts: 9, Reputation: 4

Feb 10, 2003, 11:43 PM
    NewTestament
    Greetings Vox;

The oldest manuscripts show that it is in Greek, not Latin, but with a possibility of one or more being in Aramaic before being translated to Greek. New Testament, as well as Old, were not transferred into Greek until St. Jerome translated the Bible into the Latin Vulgate, which is the first authenticated translation by one who knew not only the Greek and Hebrew, but the nuances and idioms of both languages.

Peace,
    RC-CIC
    Cherepes
    Vox Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2003, 07:17 PM
    NewTestament
    Thank you for your ansewer, cherepes.

I am glad to see you here in this board. I am the same Vox from the old askme.com, don't know if you remember me. But anyway, I am happy to see you here!

God bless!
    cherepes Posts: 9, Reputation: 4

Feb 15, 2003, 02:57 AM
    NewTestament
    Yes, I do remember, and just happened to stumble on here. Many have asked me to go to wetellyou.com and many others, but I am busy working on an Apologetics website.

God Bless Vox, and good to see you.

George
    Pastor_Dave Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

May 3, 2003, 02:01 PM
    NewTestament
    The N.T. Was all but one or two books written in Greek.
    It was translated into all Greek, all Hebrew and all latin around the same time. A copy of those earlest versions are in museums. Two are in GB and the Latin one is in the vatacan.
    juanruiz Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2003, 01:30 PM
    NewTestament
    All of the NT was written in a Greek dialect called Koine. The reason for this was that the communities of Christians spoke this language as they were outside the Middle East. There is a theory that MT was originally written in Aramaic, although there is no proof of this. Also, MT always cites the Greek Septuagint version of the OT, never the Hebrew Tanakh. There was no Latin version of the NT until St Jerome translated it (ca 400 CE).
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Jan 2, 2006, 05:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastor_Dave
    The N.T. was all but one or two books written in Greek.
    It was translated into all Greek, all Hebrew and all latin around the same time. A copy of those earlest versions are in museums. Two are in GB and the Latin one is in the vatacan.
    All the NT books were originally written in Koine. Tere were no Latin of Hebrew/Aramaic originals.

M:)RGANITE

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search