Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jessica_k Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2010, 11:26 PM
    Am I adopted ?
    Well I'm only 13 years old and I think I'm adopted I've seen few pictures of me as a child and have also seen my birth cirtificate . I don't look like my mom or dad have different color skin not that big of a difference though. Another reason why I think adopted is that every time I tell my mom and dad that I want to find out about my ancestors they say no and I say why and they carry on like they never herd me . Also "we" could talk spanish and I didn't really get some words and have hard times talking it. I really want to know if there's any chance that I'm adopted .
    jeanne629 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2010, 04:39 AM

Jessica, I think the only way to handle this is to sit down with mom & dad and ask them. Sometimes to get an answer... you just have to ask a question. Good Luck
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 23, 2010, 04:45 AM

First, what does your birth certificate say?

Second, looking like your parents is not always an indication. Genes that govern things like skin color, facial features, etc. can skip generations.

Third, your inability to pick up languages is no indication at all.

However, the reluctance of your parents to discuss your ancestry is an issue. So you really need to sit down with your parents (and even if you are adopted they ARE your parents) and explain to them your concerns. Explain to them that you understand they are your mom and dad and you love them, but if you are adopted you are old enough to understand and deal with it. Tell them that you will find out eventually and that most experts say that adoptive parents should tell their children at younger ages then you are.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Aug 23, 2010, 05:22 AM

Please ALSO be prepared for them to be extremely hurt at your accusation that they aren't your biological parents if they ARE.

It would be extremely unusual for a 13 year old to be adopted in this day and age without knowing it, unless it was a step-parent adoption. Birthparents usually DEMAND some form of contact with adopted children these days.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 23, 2010, 06:21 AM

I have five boys, one is adopted, guess what he looks more like me than the others. "who knows"

Next your family history is that of your adopted parents, they may just not know much about their family or have no interest in it. With some crazy people, some criminals and more in mine, I would just as well not discuss it either.

Sep 12, 2010, 10:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jessica_k View Post
    well im only 13 years old and i think im adopted iv seen few pictures of me as a child and have also seen my birth cirtificate . I don't look like my mom or dad have different color skin not that big of a difference though. Another reason why i think adopted is that everytime i tell my mom and dad that i want to find out about my ancestors they say no and i say why and they jst carry on like they never herd me . Also "we" could talk spanish and i dint really get some words and have hard times talking it. I really want to knw if theres any chance that im adopted .
    .. .

Sep 12, 2010, 10:27 PM
    Okay I Found Out Iam Adopted Nd Im Actully German , Sadly My Real Parents Live In Berlin ,Far Away From Me. . I Have Two Brothers (Twins) I'm Actully Going To Meet Them Soon. .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I adopted ? [ 6 Answers ]

I've always felt I'm not part of the family in some way but can never put my finger on it, I have a birth certificate (seen it) but there are other clues which points me in this adoption direction... My name is now spelt differently to what is on the birth certificate, my mum and dad's choice,...

I was adopted(birth parents are dead) but my adopted father is a deadbeat dad.. [ 7 Answers ]

I was adopted(birth parents are dead) but my adopted father is a deadbeat dad... My mother re-married & he husband (stepfather) has been what I consider my father. How can I have my adopted fathers name taken off my birth certificate & add my step fathers name? My mother is now deceased. The...

Adopted in OH, Live in MD, husband wants to adopt my adopted son [ 1 Answers ]

I adopted my son 2 yrs ago in Ohio (single adoption), I live in Maryland. My soon to be husband wants to adopt him after we are married. Would we have to do it in OH or MD?

Am I adopted [ 1 Answers ]

I don't know if I am adopted or not and I want to find out because tere are no pictures of my fake or real mum when she was pregnant and I am afraid to ask her or anyone about this. So please if you know any website wich I can enter my details and find out helpp plzzz.:confused::(

Adopted or not? [ 2 Answers ]

I don't look like anyone in my family and I have always had this feeling that my family has been keeping things from me. I also have areas of my life that don't make sense. I'm 34 and these questions have been weighing heavy on my heart lately. I would welcome any suggestions on where to go from...

View more questions Search