Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2010, 06:06 PM
    Prying-off Baseboards
    I just bought a condo, and the first thing I wanted to do was pry-off the baseboards--I'm going for a contemporary look with minimal trim. Here's the problem: hardwood flooring was put in throughout the unit after the baseboards were tacked into the wall. The flooring raised the floor about 2", but the baseboards were never repositioned, so about 2" of baseboard is sitting beneath the hardwood. Also, there are two rows of finishing nails holding the baseboards in place, the lowest row is, again, below the hardwood.

What's the best way to approach this?
    manhattan42 Posts: 143, Reputation: 11

Aug 22, 2010, 07:28 PM

I usually take a 6" wide putty knife and force it between the wall and baseboard.

Then pry the top of the baseboard away from the wall as much as possible with the knife.

This should allow you to insert a pry bar between the knife blade and baseboard to widen the gap.

Then use a reciprocating saw with bi-metal blade to cut the exposed nails.

Then simply lift the baseboard up and out.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 22, 2010, 07:38 PM

That or buy an inexpensive version of a Fein vibrating saw. Fein can run $200 but at Menards you can get a knock off for $40. This is a flush cut saw that could cut straight into the trim and leave a small piece is place which could be stained. Fein FMM-250-START Mltmstr Pwrtool Startkit

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nosy, prying coworker [ 1 Answers ]

I have been dating this guy for a little over a year now. We met online, and although it is long distance at the moment, we have been back and forth to visit each other. A girl I work with is constantly asking about us all the time. She also happens to be someone who seems to have trouble in...

Frost on baseboards [ 1 Answers ]

What does a frost build up mean on the baseboards and ice on bottom inside corner of new windows. We have a new home and have turned the humidity level way down and it is still frosting.

Installing new Baseboards [ 3 Answers ]

I am replacing old BB with new 3 1/4" x 9/16" BB. Walls are drywall with metal studs and concrete floor covered carpet. What is the best size brad or finish nail to use. Will screw the scarf joints into the studs. Thanks in advance.

View more questions Search