Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ramonabeez Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2003, 07:16 PM
    Origin of "church"
    What is the origin of the word "church"? Jesus told Peter that he would be the cornerstone on which he would build his church. I know that the Jews had temples and I can not think of any other religion which uses this word "church". Any ideas?
    Pete_Hanysz Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jul 22, 2003, 12:56 PM
    Origin of "church"
    Ramonabeez:

The word "CHURCH" comes from the Old English word "cirice"meaning public place of worship.

Pete
    bulksalty Posts: 31, Reputation: 3

Feb 11, 2010, 09:48 PM

English was probably just a dialect of old German at the time Jesus said that to Peter. The word Jesus used was later written in Greek, as ekklēsia which means something like group gathering or assembly. It got translated as church (because by the time the bible was translated, that was the word used in English to mean a group gathering or assembly of Christians).
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2010, 11:24 PM

Cassini,
    The word Church was chosen by translators to indicated the word the Jesus probably used which means assembly or like ekklēsia which is a group of people gathered together for a like purpose.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Who did this song: from the 80's, probably called "typical" or "that's typical" [ 2 Answers ]

Some lyrics as I hear them: Windowsill, my elbow's numb As I heard the door go and saw your car As it glides onto the road Double wasted dumbness Sodding off and I can't hear you go And that's typical There you sit in the driving seat

"Protect" and "Preserve" [ 6 Answers ]

What is the difference of the word "Protect" and "Preserve" ? Especially when it is used to mean protecting something. Sorry if my English is strange. (Preserve: to save something or someone from being harmed or destroyed, to make something continue without changing. / Protect: to keep someone of...

View more questions Search