Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yaslysmen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2010, 07:10 PM
    Sold car on craigslist, buyer forced me to give refund
    I sold my car on craigslist for $7,900.. kbb $8500 so good deal for this car. Anyway, the buyer writes me two checks , one for $7500 and the other for $400. He only had the $7500 available and told me to wait to cash the $400 check till Monday.. he bought on a Friday. Originally the buyer bought the car for his girlfriend. I deposited the bigger check the day he gave it to me and he took the car. I still have a loan on the car so I told him, I would send payment to HSBC and when I get the title, I will forward it to you. I signed a paper saying that I had sold the car to him for the full amount and title would transfer once payment cleared. Well Fast forward to Sunday night, Im at work and my brother calls me to say the car is parked outside. I get in contact with the guy and he says he talked to his cousin who is a lawyer and he said we don't have a valid contract and the exchange is not valid. He says the car is fine, he only drove it home and then back to my house. He said their was no problem he just wanted to formally complete a contract so I agree to meet him on Monday and he tells me not to cash the checks. I told him I cashed one but it wouldn't clear till wed. He asked why it would clear and I told him that's just what the bank told me... he said OK. We agree to meet at his bank on Monday. Once we do he starts to tell me that he and his girlfriend broke up and that he has no use for the car and doesn't want to be stuck with it. He apologizes for wasting my time and he says the $7500 will bounce. He offers to pay the bounce check fees and gives me $60 and the keys to the car. I am pissed but have no choice but to say okay because he canceled the check . I know I was stupid for accepting the personal check and now know better and will never make this mistake again. Anyway, then I get home and his girlfriend calls me and asks what's going on because she just realized the car is gone. I told her he said they broke up. She says that's not true at all and that he is telling her that I sold them a piece of crap and that's why he returned it. So he told us both different stories. I drove the car for the last three years and its not a piece of crap. Its an 06 eclipse in great condition. I took it to carmax and they wrote me an appraisal showing that the framework, engine and transmission were all in great condition. So at this point , I still have the $400 check that he wrote me, how much trouble would I be in for cashing it and keeping the money , assuming he didn't put a stop payment on it because my understanding is that he just emptied his checking account so the payment wouldn't clear and when it bounced he put the money back in his account. They took the car for the entire weekend and feel like I should be compensated for the time they drove it around.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2010, 07:39 PM

So sue him in Small Claims Court.

There is a lot of unnecessary detail here. When you file, stick to the facts.

Let the Court sort out who is right and who is wrong. And, yes, if you cash the deposit check for the car that you now have, expect to be arrested.

I would have no further conversation with any of the parties - the only person whose statements matter are the person who "bought" the car.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sold car "As Is" buyer now wants a refund [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, two days ago I sold a car that I was not aware had any issues. When the buyer was looking they drove it and looked at it extensively. I had driven the car regularly without any issues, but had just purchased another car. The purchaser did initially have a couple of concerncs and wanted me to...

Sold car but after 3 days old fault came back and buyer wants refund [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I have sold my car privately and was sold "as seen". All reciepts were viewed by the buyer, except 1, this was for on oxygen sensor which has been replaced it was not intentionaly hidded but misplaced in my new cars logbook. Previously the engine management light was on showing a fault and to...

Sold a motorcycle on craigslist and buyer is unhappy and is sueing [ 11 Answers ]

OK well here's my story: I recently sold a motorcycle on craigslist. (listing is at the bottom). I had it for a total of little more than 2 weeks before I sold it. I bought the bike to be an second bike to keep from racking up miles on my other motorcycle or become a stunt bike. When I bought the...

View more questions Search