Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bpk.ngb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2010, 02:12 PM
    Income tax in us for postdocs indian germany
    I am a J1 Post doctoral fellow who will start working in a University lab in the US from March 1, 2011. I am Indian citizen but have been residing in Germany for the past more than 4.5 years. I have paid income tax in Germany for about 4 years. I still have German resident permit for another 15-16 months.
    I would like to know:

1) As I was a resident of Germany and not India, even though I am an Indian citizen, can I claim tax exemption under the US-German treaty? If so, what documents would I require from Germany to make my claim?
    renor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2012, 11:37 AM
    Yes, you can. Your are counted as the tax resident of wherever you have worked 365 days prior to your arrival.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax treaty for postdocs [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm here in the USA as a postdoc on a J1. I'm doing the training at a pharmaceutical company, which also pays my wages. I've heard (from other postdocs at other institutions) that based on a tax treaty between US and Italy I should be exempt from paying federal taxes. However from what I...

Tax treaty for postdocs on J1 visa: in which country should I pay? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm a postdoc for 2 years at a university in the US on a J1 visa and I am a non-resident alien for taxes. My home country (the Netherlands) has a tax treaty with the US which says that researchers/professors on a J1 visa are exempt from income tax in the US for 2 years. I don't have any income...

Do I need to include US income to Indian Tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was earning part of the year in India & part of the year in US(i.e I came here this Jul). Until Jun I was getting salary in India & paying India income tax. Now at the end of this Indian financial year do I need to include all my US salary + Indian salary until Jun, when I file Indian Income...

Indian Income Tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My total income for the lastyear(2006-07) is 2,20,000.(I don't have PF and other deductins).I am a citizen of india. So 2,20,000 can be considered as the total income for an year. I am paying Rs:13,000 as Life Insurance. I have already deposited Rs:10,000 in PPF. How much more I have to...

Indian Income Tax Act [ 1 Answers ]

That I'm an assesee in the indian income Tax Act ,who deals in Future contracts and do trading in Commodities at NCEDX and MCEDX .I only do contracts(of sales and purchases) of the commodities at a premium amount of 10% margin and at the time of settelment the net of contract amount is credited or...

View more questions Search