Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pastor_Dave Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

May 10, 2003, 02:20 PM
    The gift of the Holy Spirit
    This is a two part question- 1.-- I am looking for scriptures that would shows where anyone ever spoke in an unknown tongue(unknown to the speaker & hearer) after receiving the Holy Ghost. 2.--- I also need some verses to support being slain in the spirit. Where is there any record where anyone ever was slain in the spirit.
    earthpages Posts: 44, Reputation: 6

May 25, 2003, 01:18 AM
    Try searching for related keywords at one of the bible search engines, listed here.. I like "unbound" bible myself...

http://members.rogers.com/earthpages...elig_bible.htm

:)
    corndog272000 Posts: 2, Reputation: 3

Aug 25, 2003, 12:41 PM
    Hello. I think I may be able to help you out, especially with part one of your question. No where in the Bible does it talk about someone talking in an unknown tongue. People today have misconceptions about what "tounges" are. People think they are different languages that were spoken to show that you have the Holy Ghost. This is wrong. Tongues in the Bible were actual languages that the people spoke. They were not some jibberish that nobody could understand. Today we us English, Spanish, French, etc. The purpose of tongues in the New Testament was to prove to these people that what they were saying was true. They did not have the Bible like we have it today, and the apostles had to use signs to confirm what they were saying. If you look in Acts 2, the apostles miraculously started talking in other languages so that they could preach to the people there in Jerusalem on the day of Pentecost. No where does it give an example of a person talking jibberish.
    For part two, I cannot think of any place in the Bible where any one is "slain" by the holy Spririt. However, there were cases in the Old Testament where an angel of God would pass over an army and destroy them. One night, (I cannot remember the book or chapter), the angel killed 100,000 people in their sleep.
    Hopefully this will help you out.
    Maggie 3 Posts: 262, Reputation: 41

Oct 12, 2009, 04:14 PM
    Acts 2:4 They were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and they begean to spesk
    Different languages by the power the Holy Sptrit was giving them.

Read Acts 2 It talks about tongues or languges.

I will get back with you on the other question.

Maggie 3
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2009, 11:17 PM
    Pastor_Dave,
    I think corndog272000 gave you a very good answer.
    Also the idea of being "slain" in the Holy Spirit is a rather new term that is being used by some to indicate that the person is effected by the Holy Spirit so much that they fall over or are knocked off their feet.
    The problem with that is that such thing have been both actual and also falsely staged.
    I have personally seen it actually happen and also seen it staged.
    In some cases a person is becomes so emotional that they faint and in that case it may have been an effect of the Holy Spirit or just an intense emotional happening.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred (arcura)
    AbuBakr_Fin Posts: 216, Reputation: 3

Jan 26, 2011, 05:34 PM
    Excuse me, I`m a muslim, so maybe you`ll resent the idea of me giving a reply or something.
    Just shortly my knowledge of The Bible tells me that Jesus spoke to devils inside two people, and those people spoke -but it was the devils speaking by their tongues, OK? If you look up from YouTube you can see that when muslims use Quran to drive out evils jinn, you can see an example showing how it happens here e.g:

Andhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Tg9kn9hZ0&feature=related

It may be very shocking, so this is not maybe the best idea for you to see about Islam at first. But it gives you the idea. So playing with the world of jinn (spirits) is not wise without knowledge, and trinity doesn`t have sufficient evidence in the original scriptures of The Bible that you would be advised to take the chance that when you call upon Gods one third or something that God will not consider it blasphemy, and only one to enter your heart as a holy ghost is a jinn. (Remember Jesus said people will come to him on that Day and say `Didn`t we in your name cure a lot of sick and do much miracles?`, and that he will tell them: `Go away, you wrongdoers, for I do not know you!` - so compare that with the christian callers and preachers of today and how can you tell?) It may then be once a jinn has entered a body of a human being (my wife had it too, but thank God we chased it out by Quràn, and trusting in His Power, The All-Mighty - it`s very real, and how many people are in mental hospitals without cure just because they have jinn?), then it may start ordering a person to good, or bad, and it may speak or not. The Quràn makes them very unstable, and they may burn, so then they often scream, but a normal person would feel peacefull listening to it (you can try if you dare: www.all-quran.com).
    One of the greatest early Islamic scholars (Ibn Taimiyah -may God have mercy upon his soul) was once approached by a person who thanked him for having appeared to save him when he had called upon him in need. The scholar said: `I have never seen you or appeared to you, and it is only a devil you have seen, because you called upon the help of other than God Alone.`
    Here`s a link to find out more about The original Revelations of God in the Abrahamic faiths:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bynbGhdFzKQ

So this is the appropriate answer to your first guestion in my best abuillity, and the second I don`t know.

And by the way, muslims do believe in Jesus, but don`t orship Him in stead nor beside God, Who send him to call the children of Israel to Him, and there is no God but Him. And as No-one will enter Paradise except by following him, then also no-one will enter Paradise by following the Last Messenger (mentioned in The Bible also in many places, and the previous link is a good way to find out. Be patient) , who was send to all mankind until the end of the world (Whereas Jesus -peace upon him- was sent to the children of Israaiil), and when Jesus comes again, he will be a witness of that, and as the best muslim were the Prophets, he will be the best to follow The Quran, and rule by it as a leader of all believers and the entire world, which is what we about a billion people believe in with conviction by evidence with us, so be careful before you call lies the things that haven`t reached you of knowledge from God yet, although the devil commands you to.

Jan 26, 2011, 06:52 PM
    Comment on AbuBakr_Fin's post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKsSk0kqc6U&feature=related

Jan 26, 2011, 07:42 PM
    Comment on AbuBakr_Fin's post
    Sorry, that last link was the best, but accidentally it`s the second from a series of lectures, so start from the first, and may God guide you to the manifest Truth, which is based upon the biblical truth.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"Speaking against the Holy Ghost" [ 2 Answers ]

Jesus used the curious phrase as reported by Matthew, Matthew 12:31-32 "Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it...

Gift for the nun who has everything... [ 8 Answers ]

I wasn't sure whether to put this topic in etiquette or religion, but I thought in religion people might know more about nuns, so... One of the Sisters who taught at my boarding school had cancer and beat it! I was just invited to a party to celebrate. I was not asked to bring a gift, but this...

Holy Cow! [ 46 Answers ]

Ok, I'm sure you have all heard about the kid that ran away from the military to Canada to avoid going to Iraq. His first excuse was that he thought if he returned he'd be persecuted, but since that didn't fly, he decided to claim the war was illegal. Obviously because this wasn't his first...

View more questions Search