Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    starsbooty Posts: 119, Reputation: 7

Dec 22, 2006, 01:37 PM
    Alcohalism
    My Mom Got Breast Cancer In August, She Has Recently Started Chemo And Seems To Be Doing Okay, But She Hasn't Stopped Drinking. She Drinks One Medium SiZE Glass Of Wine A Night Not Including Whatever She Drinks Away From Home.. What Complications Could This Cause?
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Dec 22, 2006, 08:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by starsbooty
    My Mom Got Breast Cancer In August, She Has Recently Started Chemo And Seems To Be Doing Okay, But She Hasnt Stopped Drinking. She Drinks One Medium SiZE Glass Of Wine A Night Not Including Whatever She Drinks Away From Home.. What Complications Could This Cause?
    I don't see how anyone could correctly answer unless they were an MD, a RN or a Physician's assistant, even then, your mother's specific medical history, details would probably have to be know by the professional giving an answer. Sorry, I am none of the above. Why not ask her MD ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 22, 2006, 09:46 PM
    She should ask her doctor,

If she merely drinks one glass of wine each night, that is not an alcoholic, in fact if it was not for the chemo and the medication she is taking for that, for a normal healthy person, a glass of wine ( esp red) each day is actually considered good for a person by many people.

So she is downing a pint of capt morgan while she is out, or doing a 6 pack of beer on her way home from Chemo?
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Dec 22, 2006, 10:01 PM
    I agree it would be very difficult, if not impossible to give any real accurate advice -- but from a very practical perspective, any alcohol consumed at this point is just one more additional task for her likely, already very overburdened liver.

http://www.chemocare.com/managing/li...ysfunction.asp

As Chuck said, in moderation, and in a comparatively healthy person, beer and wine can be excellent sources of flavonoids (powerful antioxidants); but nevertheless, the burden of neutralizing the alcohol falls directly upon the liver. It is probably far better to abstain from any amount at this point.
    I hope she gets better soon. Take care. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search