Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sonicmolly Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2010, 05:39 AM
    Urine test for alcohol
    The etg/ets urine test for alcohol- I know it detects consumption within 3-4 days- do you know if there is any "on-site" test for etg/ets, or does it have to be sent to a lab? I have a urine test coming up (I'm pretty sure it's an on-site urine dipstick type test) and it will be 2.5 days after I had 1 sam adams beer and 3.5 days after I had 1/2 a sam adams beer. (12 oz beers)
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Aug 21, 2010, 09:13 AM
    My understanding is a urine dip stick test, can detect alcohol up to 24 hours after consumption. If it is negative, they won't go to the expense of sending it for further analysis to see if it is a false negative.

If it shows positive, it will most likely be sent for further analysis.
    sonicmolly Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2010, 06:27 PM

Thanks- do you know if there is a test for etg/ets that is in a "dipstick" form? And, the "24 hour test" you speak of- what does it test for? Ethanol or some other metabolite?
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Aug 21, 2010, 06:40 PM
    My understanding is, on the '24 hour test', is that it can detect, in the urine, many substances, not just alcohol. My opinion is, it is a cheap screening that saves time and money for more substantive testing.

The dipstick test will show, by changing colour, if there has been consumption. It is good, as far as I know, for up to 24 hours after the subject has consumed alcohol, in your case.

The other tests are more thourough, if the stick shows possible alcohol, there are a myriad of testing protocols the sample goes through in more stringent (and expensive) testing.

If it were me being tested, and it showed a false positive for alcohol use, I would insist on further testing if I have not consumed alcohol.

Here is a good link that will explain your other questions far better than I could. You're really making me think here, it's been a few years since I've studied this myself. :p

Ethylglucuronide (EtG) and Ethylsulfate (EtS) - Home
    brianadam Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Jun 10, 2013, 06:01 AM
    These urine tests can detect alcohol in the urine anywhere from 40-80 hours after ingestion. So to be safe, you should wait 80 hours before being tested. Hope this helps.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2013, 01:15 PM
    "These urine tests can detect alcohol in the urine anywhere from 40-80 hours after ingestion. So to be safe, you should wait 80 hours before being tested. Hope this helps."

Do you think that when a person is ordered to have drug testing they can actually postpone the test to a date when they know they will pass? Doesn't that kind of spoil the "random drug test" idea?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Urine test for alcohol [ 8 Answers ]

How long does alcohol stay in system and detected by urine test?

Urine Alcohol test [ 2 Answers ]

What is the meaning of the alcohol urine test like this: Urine alcohol (medical) >10 mg/100ml I don't really drink any alcohol. Thanks for your answer in advance.

Alcohol urine test [ 7 Answers ]

If I had only 1-2 beers a few nights ago, and then I had a urine test the next morning, would it showup as any alcohol in my system?

Alcohol urine test [ 4 Answers ]

Will adding a little salt to a urine test off you finger mess the test up?

Alcohol urine test [ 5 Answers ]

I drank Saturday night, had my last drink at about 1030pm and now its Monday and I have to go test for probation, do you think I will pass?

View more questions Search