Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mozem Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2010, 04:18 PM
    Been burgled insurance company may not pay out
    Im a student in stoke on trent (uk) and my house has damp/mold so to get rid of the smell id opened the window during the day while I was home, at around 8:30pm (still light outside) I decided to pop to the shop and get a few things for shopping, it took me longer than I thought and when I came home I opened the door and realised I had been burgled.

Most my electronics were gone my PC, laptop, TV, nintendo ds and xbox had all been stolen. I called the police who arrived around 11:30 and the day later the forensics people came but couldn't find anything useful since they said the surface had been wiped and the police said they suspect it may be the neighbours or some one.

Since id only moved in recently I never knew anyone I then decided to call my insurance company. A few days later I got intouch again and was told I was assigned a claims manager and then contacted a few days again and told that some one would come visit me. The person came and told me everything seemed OK and that he had received my reciepts etc and took a picture of the window and checked how easily accessible it was then informed me that the insurance company may be reluctant to pay out on my xbox since they have had issues with covering them and he would double check. Few days later he told me that he had checked and good news the xbox was covered but was awaiting to get intouch with the police for a police report this was a week and a half ago.

Today he emailed me to inform me he is still awaiting to get intouch with the police since they have not gotten back to him but also said that there may be an issue with the claim since my insurance stipulates that I take #

"You must at all times

a) take all reasonable steps to prevent accident, loss and damage

b) take all reasonable steps to ensure that all external doors and accessible windows to the Term Time Address...are fitted with adequate locks whish should be left operative whenever the Term Time Address is left without occupant."

I didn't intentionally leave the window open when I left and when I was asked by the insurance guy I told him I just didn't realise id left it open since I had a busy day and was just popping to the shop and thought I would be back quickly. What should I do I'm afraid my insurance claim will get rejected and I will be out of pocket any advice would be great

Check out some similar questions!

Insurance company refusing to pay with water leaking in wall damage [ 5 Answers ]

I hopefully can alert others to the nightmare I am living with/facing now! After years of paying ALLSTATE for my condo homeowner's coverage, I find they have abandoned me. Assume all other policies/companies are the same. I take EXCEPTIONAL care and precautions against leaks under my sinks,...

Getting an insurance company to pay liability. [ 4 Answers ]

My wife was recently after parking her car and having left it shortly afterwards returned top find another car had rolled back from a parked position and crashed into the side of hers.The local Gardai(police)were called and a report was made.The driver of the other car had giving her insurance...

Does my insurance company have to pay for damages to a car with no insurance [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter was at fault for a car accident, however the other person had no insurance. In the state of Indiana you must have insurance. My question is does my insurance have to pay the other person damages? Also can I report this person to police department for false information on a legal report...

Does employer continue to pay insurance while waiting for a COBRA Insurance election? [ 1 Answers ]

When an employee has been terminated from employment, how many days after termination does the employer have to pay the insurance premium on the employee while waiting for the employee to decide on COBRA?

Do I have to pay back disability company monies I receive from SS for back pay [ 1 Answers ]

I don't know what to do. I just received SS after applying for 5 years. I just received my back pay from SS as well. Now, the disability company that was paying me wants 100% of my back pay and my son's dependent check as well. I thought this was protected under 42 USC Sec 407 (a). ...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.