Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rckdinc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2010, 10:50 AM
    Replacing old windows
    Replacing a single pane slider in the shower with new vinyl window. The way that the old window was installed left a "lot" to be desired. Bad construction practice. So - I want to make sure that the water that splashes on the window runs back into the shower. I will be using protecto wrap and will tile the whole surface. Question: How do I achieve a sloped surface at the sill on the interior side?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2010, 11:02 AM

What I did when I remodled my bathroom was cut the sill flush to the wall. I used tile with thinset bed sloped to provide the drainage. Maybe not the BEST way to do it but it looks nice. But I did have to use a color matching silicone sanded grout between the edge of that tile and the wall tile upstaire where the wall was a frame wall at the base. Regular grout cracked only at that point with the temprature extremes between seasons (thermal expansion limits). I did not have the problem in the basement where the window was in a cinderblock wall.

Have not had any trouble in the 12 years since I did it. No I'm not a professionsal and everyone has loved the work that has seen it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 20, 2010, 11:29 AM

For future reference, please pay more attention to the forum you choose to post in. I moved this from the Windows forum under Computers & Technology which is for questions about Microsoft's Windows operating system.
    kryostar Posts: 108, Reputation: 11

Aug 29, 2010, 12:59 AM

you can just make the mortar thicker towards the window. Or angle 2x4 or 2x6 at the bottom of the window framing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cost of replacing windows and frames for 40 casement windows [ 1 Answers ]

I need to buy 40 new windows and frames for wooden casement windows.What would be reasonable for energy efficient windows like this?

Replacing Windows ?'s [ 0 Answers ]

I'm looking at windows. Super good deal being offered in craigs list. $4 a square foot. I'm measuring existing windows and they are coming with measurements just shy of the nearest foot mark. For instance. 71" x 47" / 6' x 4' 70" x 35" / 6' x 3'

Replacing casement windows [ 3 Answers ]

We have Andersen casement windows that are almost 20 years old. They've been nothing but trouble. Always replacing the cranks, don't seal well. I'd like to know can casement windows be replaced by another style? Some are of a large size and are 2 to 3 panels with the width being 48 to 63...

Replacing windows [ 3 Answers ]

My house is 20yrs old,should I replace my windows?

Replacing basement windows [ 3 Answers ]

Hey all. I want to replace the basement windows. My house is 5 years old and the basement windows are only single pane. I have changed windows before but not with metal surrounds. How is the metal window held in the concrete wall? What kind of fasteners do you use to install the windows? ...

View more questions Search