Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LWD Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2006, 09:35 AM
    Adding a name to a deed
    I live in New York, and plan to have my name added to the deed on my mother's home. This would mean that we both own the property, which is important since she is 81 years of age. I purchased a blank of the same type of deed which we have, but I need help completing it. What is the easiest and fastest way of taking care of this matter?
    clouded Posts: 31, Reputation: 3
    -

Dec 22, 2006, 08:13 PM
    A title company. Its safer.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 22, 2006, 10:11 PM
    A quick claim deed is the easiest method of doing it yourself.
    At least in our state in most of the office supply stores, like Office Depo or Staples, they even sell the deed kits.

A title company or title attorney is the best way to do it.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Dec 23, 2006, 07:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    A quick claim deed is the easiest method of doing it your self.
    At least in our state in most of the office supply stores, like Office Depo or Staples, they even sell the deed kits.

A title company or title attorney is the best way to do it.
    FrChuck, if you're going to give the OP the information to do it on their own, please give them the correct name of the form they need. It's a "quit" claim deed, not a "quick" claim deed.

To LWD: I suggest that you have an attorney or title company handle this for you. It's not expensive and this way you can make sure that it's done properly. If you do it on your own and make a mistake it can be difficult and costly to fix.
    Expert

Dec 23, 2006, 07:36 AM
    Just a spelling error, I am sure they would have understood what was meant ( I see you did)

And really no, it is a very simple step that really does not require the cost of an attorney for anyone with any basic knowledge, One can go to the court hourse and look though other properties deeds and find ones that are close to their case.

It is the easiest method of transforming property, esp amount family members.
    Expert

Dec 23, 2006, 07:43 AM
    I must disagree. The OP said they wanted to have their name added to the deed. If the OP has nothing more than basic knowledge (which is the only requirement you list) then it would be very easy for the OP to list the mother as seller and the OP as buyer. But that would have the effect of completely transferring the property from one to the other, not adding a second owner on to the deed. It requires a little more than "basic knowledge" to know that both parties must be listed as the buyer.

So if the OP follows that scenario they have now transferred the property completely from the mother to the child. This could have substantial tax and estate ramifications if they are unaware of the mistake. Let's say that they discover the mistake before any consequences take effect. They must then file either a corrective deed or a new deed transferring 1/2 of the property back to the mother.

If you are going to suggest that someone do this on their own then PLEASE tell them the proper way of doing it.

To LWD: If you do it yourself, list your mother as the seller and list both yourself and your mother as the buyer.
    Expert

Dec 23, 2006, 05:44 PM
    Clouded, what exactly was restated and insulting? I did not post an answer until I saw that there was information given which was incomplete and could have led to a problem for the OP. I provided that portion that I felt completed the answer.

Since you "disagree" with my response, exactly what about it do you disagree with? In what way did you think it was wrong?
    Expert

Dec 23, 2006, 07:41 PM
    I will disagree, since it is very easy and no need to spend money on an attorney ( sorry I know you are one) but the system is made to attempt to scare people into paying lots of money when it really is not needed.

Simple tranfer of property can be done by yourself with basic kits, it can be done though online legal forms sites, or by using paralegals, and title companies in some states.

Spending 100's of dollars for something that you can get done for a few dollars is just silly
    mjinms Posts: 39, Reputation: 0

Dec 23, 2006, 08:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LWD
    I live in New York, and plan to have my name added to the deed on my mother's home. This would mean that we both own the property, which is important since she is 81 years of age. I purchased a blank of the same type of deed which we have, but I need help completing it. What is the easiest and fastest way of taking care of this matter?
    Go to your nearest law library and request research on filling out a deed.It like going to a regular library and the person that works there will point you in the right direction but can't give you legal advise. So get ready to do your homework. You can look over many versions of deeds and fill it out. Find one that closely ressembles your situation. You can also find out how much it cost to file the deed with the court house. Any new deeds or changes ina deed has to be filed in the courthouse and there is a cost amount.
    SharonfromHoboken Posts: 14, Reputation: 7

Oct 4, 2007, 07:00 AM
    If I had a dollar for every person I have ever met who tried to handle a "simple" legal matter on their own and shouldn't have... well, I would be swinging in a hammock on a tropical island with a scantily clad cabana boy serving me drinks in a coconut right now instead of sitting at my desk.

Many people do this on their own and have no problem. There are also many people who do this on their own and end up having a major problem later on. Some examples would be a grantor who ended up in a partition action (a forced sale), a grantee finding out that they were financially responsible for the (expensive) clean-up of an environmental hazard, a grantor having their loan called in, etc...

The problem rarely is with filling out a blank form properly... it usually is with the financial and legal ramifications of the action itself.

It's what you don't know that always gets you in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    I will disagree, since it is very easy and no need to spend money on an attorney ( sorry I know you are one) but the system is made to attempt to scare people into paying lots of money when it really is not needed.

Simple tranfer of property can be done by yourself with basic kits, it can be done though online legal forms sites, or by using paralegals, and title companies in some states.

Spending 100's of dollars for something that you can get done for a few dollars is just silly

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding names to a deed [ 5 Answers ]

My mother would like to add 2 of her children's name on the house deed. She lives in New York state. How does she add her children's names to the deed?

My name is not on the deed, what now? [ 7 Answers ]

:confused: I plan on retaining an attorney as soon as I get the funds, but in the meantime, I have questions! We have been married for 4 years, together for a total of 12 years. First thing is our home. We bought it from his mother, no contract-just verbal. My husband took out a mortgage on it...

Adding my husbands name to the deed of our home [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how to add my husbands name to the deed of our home

Adding a name on a deed in Virginia [ 1 Answers ]

What are the steps? Do I need an attorney?

View more questions Search