Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tamals Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2006, 07:55 AM
    Wet Outlets
    Our outdoor outlets occasionally stop working and unfortunately one in our garage that we use for our 2nd refrigerator as well. We think it's happening when they get wet. The breaker is not tripped... I've checked the fuse box and those look okay. Last time they just started working again after a while. Is is because it gets wet (we've had lots of rain lately and my Christmas lights are plugged in)? If so, is there a way to dry it so we can be back in business or do you just have to give it time?

Thank you.

Tam
    jgj6331 Posts: 153, Reputation: 19

Dec 22, 2006, 08:34 AM
    Sounds like you might have a GFI circuit - either a GFI breaker in the breaker box - or a GFI outlet. Try flipping the breaker to those affected outlets off and on a couple of times - a faulty breaker may not completely trip the indicator. Also, check all the outlets affected and see if any have a "reset" button on them and try that. Do realize that if you have a recurrent problem with this - wet outlets - you have a potentially dangerous situation that needs a permanent fix and not a band-aid repair. Have a qualified electrician evaluate your system - and hopefully find a way (weather-proof outlets / covers, outlet relocation, etc.. ) to keep your electric utility dry and safe..
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2006, 11:42 AM
    Does the reefer go off also? Do not use a reefer in a GFI protected outlet or circuit.

You say they just start working on theire own, without any action by you. Then this indicates a loose connection, possibly in the wet outlet, or can be anywhere in the circuit.

Shut off the breaker for this outlet, ad pull the outlet out to check the wire connections, if they are just pushed into little holes on the back of the outlet, change them over to wrap around the screw connections, as the push in type are popular problems.

Dec 22, 2006, 01:53 PM
    Still doesn't settle the ultimate problem - outlets that are getting wet repeatedly. This needs to be corrected - and if not GFI protected, it sounds as though this "outdoor" circuit should be - in fact, it would be malpractice not to suggest so.

Do agree that refrigerator / freezer should not be connected to GFI - to do so is asking for disaster.
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2006, 02:34 PM
    To Jgj6331, I agree, I did not mean to discount your advice, you are absolutley correct, did I need to say so?And since you already did mention the GFI, did I need to repeat that also?

Are you accusing me of negligence simply because I did not say the same thing you did?

I merely added some addditional advice to yours. Is that not the purpose of this forum?

I would not consider a refrigerator or freezer that gets shut off by a GFI a "disaster" however, depending on the quantity of food that may get spoiled, it can be a costly lesson learned.

I have sensed your apparent mistrust with me or my answers before, if you have an issue, please let me know to see if we can work it out. Oh and by the way, I am not an engineer, never said I was, never will until I am.

Dec 22, 2006, 03:48 PM
    Sorry that you interpreted my post the wrong way tkrussell... I am not suggesting you are negligent - in fact, I was reiterating to Tamals (who obviously has limited knowledge of electrical devices) that evaluation by a professional may be warranted for a permanent - rather than temporary - fix. Someone with limited / unknown knowledge and skills mucking around with an non-GFI protected outlet in a wet location - is definitely an invitation to disaster. I do feel that advice throughout this forum is often metered out without proper regard to the abilities of the asker - which often seems to be taken forgranted .

If I'd had a problem with your post - I would have left a comment there rather than place an additional post. I have no mistrust of you - or your advice - which I find dead-on 99%+ of the time. But yes, since you carry the title "Electrical Expert" on this forum - which in itself carries significant weight over the rest of us - I feel that you might consider a sentence or two validating - or discrediting - posts prior to yours. Many readers will consider your posts as "gospel" - and may not heed very useful advice offered by others.

Again - sorry if I have offended you. Have a Merry Christmas.
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2006, 05:52 PM
    No offense taken.

I will certainly take your advice and do my best to just that, I appreciate the perspective. Now I understand, I do apologize for misunderstanding. All my intention is to never try to overshadow or take away any one else's answer or try to take "all the glory" so to speak.

I usually only speak up if there is a correction that is needed.

And the same wishes to you and yours, and the world. We all sure can use a Merry Xmas.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New outlets [ 6 Answers ]

How many outlets per new circuit?

Basement outlets [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, I wanted to clarify something that was said in another thread but wasn't sure if I should add to that one or start a new one. I have heard that you should place GFI outlets in your basement. TkRussell stated that you do not need them ot is not code for fridges, freezers, washers, sump pumps. I...

GFI outlets [ 6 Answers ]

I have an older home with no GFI outlets. What is involved in installing them, and how many do I need? Thanks, Roca

Outlets not working [ 3 Answers ]

I posted a question a couple months ago about some outlets that aren't working in my house. I have done some further investigating and here is what I know as of now. The outlets that do not work are all on the same circuit - with the exception of one which is outside in the backyard. I have...

Outlets not working [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought a new home and it seems that some of the outlets in our house have stopped working since we've moved in. They are just regular outlets in the living room and also the outside outlets are not working. Is this a problem for a licensed electrician or is there something I can do to fix...

View more questions Search