Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fordman1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2010, 06:41 PM
    how far will a 2x12 span
    I am trying to use 2 2x12s as a header put a 4x4 at each end 16ft will I be OK its an over hang on the house about 5.5 feet wide and 16 ft long
    manhattan42 Posts: 143, Reputation: 11

Aug 20, 2010, 03:10 AM

You don't provide enough information to answer the question.

We need to know at what floor level this header will be (In other words, how many floors will be above it)...

Whether it is located in or will be part of an exterior or interior bearing wall or beam...

Whether it will be used to support ceiling joist and roof loads...

What your local snow loads would be and a host of other things.

Generally speaking, the maximum span of 2 2x12s under most conditions would only be slightly over 8 feet and any 16ft span would require an engineered header, steel, or a truss.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the maximum span for (2) 2x12 LVL beams? [ 5 Answers ]

I am finishing my basement and was wondering about the span rating for the (2) 2x12 LVL beams that support the one section. It is currently supported in the middle of the 11' gap with a support pole. I was wondering what I would have to do to remove the support pole? Some have suggested added...

I want to span a 19 [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 18'7" x 20' two story room. Going to add a room over this room. We will need to span 18'7" width with 2x12s on 12" center. Will this support the new floor on second level, with furniture and a television, as described. It is better to go an engineered flooring system, double up the...

Need to span 8' opening [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone, This is my first time on a forum such as this, so please bear with me. I'm in the process of building a music studio using what is called the "room in a room" technique where each room in the building has it's own walls and ceiling completely separate from one another, the only...

Span of 2x12 [ 1 Answers ]

I'm building a deck and was wondering how far I could span 2x12 joists

Making a girder from 2X12 lumber [ 4 Answers ]

I am planning to build a 24 X 26, gable entry, 2 car (double door) garage with a 12/12 roof pitch so I can use the loft area for a studio. My idea was to run a 26 foot girder down the center to support the ceiling joists. My question is, if I make a girder by sandwiching 2 X 12 lumber, "what is the...

View more questions Search