Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mietl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2010, 06:39 PM
    Snaked sink, still backing up ? Now what?
    OK so I snaked the drain, went in about 20 feet could not get anymore in. put trap back together. Ran water, backs up and it does drain, just very very slowly. Before it would not drain. So now what?
    435Studio Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

Aug 20, 2010, 08:52 AM

Can you see how this sink is vented? It could be that the vent is clogged. Are there other sinks that drain slowly as well or is this the only one. To snake the vent you have to get to the roof and snake all the way down. It is possible that this sink is vented with an AAV. If so, when you look under the sink you will see a vertical pipe that extends above the level of the trap. At the top it has a vented cap. If so see if you can remove it by unscrewing. Once you take it off see how the sink drains. If it drains OK you need to replace the AAV. Available as plumbing supply and some box DIY.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 20, 2010, 11:31 AM

You have snaked the horizontal drain line in the wall. That only takes about 6 feet of snake. The other 14 feet most likely when up the stack but we'll never know.
    The fact that you're still clogged tells me the clog's in the drain line below the floor and that can be reached only from the kitchen roof vent. The only other way would be to install a swivel or drop head auger tip (see image) on your snake. If you snake from the roof put out enough snake to reach the base and 18 feet more. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen Sink water backing into Utility sink in basement [ 1 Answers ]

I have modified ranch, with kitchen sink with Garbage disposer on first floor and in the basement I have Utility sink next to washing machine. Water is backing up in that basement sink when ever there is large volume of water is released like washing dishes and running disposer . Stink...

Sink backing up [ 2 Answers ]

My Sink in the kitchen backed up with water yesterday afternoon and will not drain:confused: I've tried Draino and plunging it but still nothing. I also noticed this morning that the dishwasher is filled with water on the bottom. Everything else in the house works fine. HELP!:confused:

Sink that won't drain even though it's been snaked clear. [ 1 Answers ]

Our kitchen sink would not drain after using the garbage disposal to grind potato & carrot peels. We assumed it was clogged. My husband tried the plunger, took off the trap and cleaned it, used a 25 ft snake from the pipe under the sink through the trap in the basement, took off the trap in the...

Sink Backing Up [ 1 Answers ]

My bathroom sink is backking up water? How do I fix It.

Sink backing up [ 5 Answers ]

Our upstairs bathroom sink began draining slowly and finally stopped all together. We plunged the sink and a lot of dirty water/sludge came up. However, now the sink is continuously filling with water (clean) from the drain. I have tried turning off the water to the house out at the meter and it...

View more questions Search