Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nsgibson Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2010, 05:44 PM
    How do I know if I have a basement rough in for toilet/sink/shower?
    I have an unfinished basement and there are two sewer drains that go into the basement floor, on opposite sides of the basement, one for each ground floor bathroom. Along another wall and away from those drains, about 12" away from the wall, there is a pipe that comes about 3" out of the floor and has a 4" inside diameter and a screw on top. When I open it, I can see that it goes down and quickly bends away toward the wall (presumably out of the house)... it doesn't look like it joins up with the other sewer drains but I can't be sure. My

My question is: Is this a rough in that I can use for toilet/sink/shower drain, should I add a bathroom to the basement? Or is this some other sort of drain that should not be used for waste? How do I know or find out?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 19, 2010, 06:16 PM

The 4" pipe picks up the toilet and there should be another 2" pipe somewhere for either a shower or a tub. The vanity will be picked up from a 2" pipe that will set inside a wall and will run up and reconnect to a roof vent in your attic. The entire bathroom group will be vented by this pipe. Here's a typical bathroom rough in. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Aug 19, 2010, 09:19 PM
    Thanks for the response... there is no 2" pipe, just the 4". I just don't want to find out the hard way after I install a toilet that it actually drains to the street rather than the sewer line... I want to make sure this 4" pipe is meant for sewer. Any other thoughts?
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 20, 2010, 06:22 AM
    Look around for a 14" square of cement that looks a little different from the rest of the pour. Sometimes the cement man will skim cement over a tub dap-out. If you see a patch of cement like that a hammer will break it out. Are there no other pipes coming out of the pour? Cheers, Tom
    435Studio Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

Aug 20, 2010, 08:40 AM

Speed is right on about the drain config. I had to search for my tub drain and sink drain/vent. If you take a hammer and tap on the slab near the wall on either side of the 4" pipe you may be able to find a "hollow spot" that could be the 2" sink drain/vent. If you are near a corner, work your way around the walls 5' or so on either side of the 4" stub.

The shower drain is likely near the wall as well, but could be out in the slab field anywhere from 36"-72".

Don't be shy about smacking the slab, you can always patch prior to your flooring install.

Also, while you're poking around, take a look in you unfinished basement ceiling and see if you can find a capped 2" pipe. It may be labeled future vent or something like that. If you find it that will make venting you new bathroom much easier. It may also help narrow down where your drain pipes are hidden. (they could be directly below the FV or very nearby... )

Aug 20, 2010, 08:35 PM
    Excellent guys, thanks for the info. I've since poked around more and found that this is actually where other lines drain to.. looks like this is the last exit out of the house and agreed it is a toilet drain, though it is fairly clean. I'll look for a vent line and hollow spot. Thanks!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 21, 2010, 05:11 AM

435 studio raised good points.

If you fail to find any other pipes in the floor or ceiling then you may simply have a clean out there in the floor... ;)

If this is a bathroom rough in you will definitely find, at a minimum, another 2" pipe somewhere close by.

Mark
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 21, 2010, 05:26 AM

Mark makes a good point also, If there are no 2" this could very well be a clean out. Although why the plumber didn't take it down to grade and install a clean out cover we'll never know. Cheers, Tom

Aug 24, 2010, 07:40 PM

Excellent info guys... if this is actually a clean out, can I still install toilet/sink/shower to it?

Thanks...
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 25, 2010, 04:06 AM

You sure can...

You can break out the concrete floor and install a wye fitting into the drain line to pick up the bathroom drainage.

You will also need to plan on running a 2" vent into an other 2" vent upstairs... you connect into the existing 2" or larger vent at a minmum of 42" off the finish floor. You could also run the 2" vent up and into the attic space where you can connect into a 2" or larger vent or penetrate the roof.

Any questions just let us know.

Mark

PS: There are also alternatives available that do not require breaking into the concrete floor, but they are usually not used when gravity drainage is available. You can check on 1 alternative at Saniflo macerating and gray water pumping systems

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding sink to existing basement rough in [ 4 Answers ]

I want to add a sink and dishwasher for a wet bar, to my existing rough in for the bathroom. I plan to saw cut floor and tap into drain for vanity with a wye connector. The vanithy is already vented do I need to vent the wet bar sink also. The run is a straight shot to vanity 2" drain. Distance is...

How to install rough in plumbing for basement toilet and shower I have cut out cement [ 3 Answers ]

How to install plumbing for toilet and shower in basement need to know

Shower,toilet and sink drains rough in bathroom [ 10 Answers ]

I have the rough ins done on a concrete basement floor for a toilet,shower and sink and wanted to ask/confirm before starting the work. Toilet drain and supply water. A 4" lead pipe sticks out about 10" off the concrete floor, concrete is all around. Is this OK to cut the lead pipe and leave...

Basement toilet rough-in [ 3 Answers ]

New house with rough-in plumbing in basement. I installed toilet , flushed, it drained slow and bubbled . Also water backed up in shower drain. Is it a vent problem, or did builder block drain for some reason? Bill

View more questions Search