Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lee12 Posts: 83, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2010, 06:58 AM
    header with mid-span supports
    Hi all,

Will be framing for a set of 3 windows installed side-by-side with 3 transom windows above (6 windows total). I'd like to use 1 header over the entire set with single 2x4s between each window. Maybe this is common and perfectly fine, or maybe it changes the way the header is going to function - I just haven't seen it before myself so wanted to see what others think. Thanks for any input.

hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 19, 2010, 04:34 PM

I see no problem except that you may have a difficult time trimming out those windows (inside and out) with only 1 1/2" between them.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2010, 12:49 AM
    I agree with Harold,the framing seems fine.

If you are a woodworker,the trim shouldn't really pose all that much of a problem though.If the outside is going to be metal wrapped,that isn't difficult.

The insides will pose a bigger challenge,but if you have seen this type of work done in the past,you might already have an idea of how you are going to do it.. Hope so!

Good luck and let us know how things progress!
    manhattan42 Posts: 143, Reputation: 11

Aug 20, 2010, 03:14 AM

Apart from most Codes requiring 2 jacks under each end of 2x12 headers, your design should work with the same exceptions noted for trim noted by the previous posters.
    lee12 Posts: 83, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2010, 05:09 AM
    Thanks for the input! I'll be making all of the inside and outside trim so I don't need to worry about standard sizes. As for number of jacks - I'll check the codes, thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mid 80's to mid 90's movie. [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to find a movie I watched as a teenager. I think it had to have been made between 1985-1995. The movie was about a teacher who was assigned the worst students in the school. He took them to a facility where he eventually taught them a form of martial arts he learned in South America or...

Sifi movie from mid 70s to mid 80s [ 2 Answers ]

Hey, I'm trying to figure out the name of a movie I watched when I was a kid. What I remember is there is a women and whoever looked into her eyes turned to stone, she had snakes coming out of her head I think. Lol There was also an Owl (a tin owl I think) And also I think there was a 3 headed...

How long of a header for an 18ft span on a load bearing wall [ 3 Answers ]

we are removing a load bearing wall of a stick built house it is an 18 foot span. We are going to us 2) 2x12 LVLs is this enough or should we use 3. the roof is not supported by the walls.

What is the name of the TV series from the mid 1980-mid 1990's [ 3 Answers ]

About a man for hire to eliminate someone causing you a problem - the show aired on CBS - I believe the actor's first name is Edward -but not positive

View more questions Search