Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    priyachahat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2010, 11:46 PM
    Stubborn behavioural problems of one year kid
    HI,
    My one year old baby girl's behaviour is making me worried. She gets very angry if she could not get what she want. She starts knock her head with floor or wall or starts scream. I don't want to make her stubborn. ***. Suggest what should I do.
    Thanks
    Priya
    mrshodges Posts: 208, Reputation: 34

Aug 19, 2010, 09:31 AM

I would check with a doctor. It could be autism or something else. I do know my 16 mo gets upset when she doesn't get her way. It is natural though, you just have to teach her how to control her temper. Boundaries need to be set. It will take a lot of work.

Studies have shown that physical punishment does not work on toddlers around this age. They do not understand right from wrong and will think you are just trying to hurt them not teach them.
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2010, 01:36 PM

Temper tantrums are perfectly normal in one to three year olds. Toddler temper tantrums are part of a child's development. They can't be completely avoided.

A few things to try:

* I was always told to ignore them, as most tantrum-throwers are trying to attract attention. If you don't give them that attention, they will lose interest and stop the tantrum.

* If you're at home, just turn and walk away.

* Try to distract them. Start to play with a new toy, get your child a drink, go outside for a walk. Do whatever it takes to get your toddler's mind off the problem.
    priyachahat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2010, 11:14 PM
    mrshodges and Devorameira Thanks a ton for your suggestions. I hope her behaviour will be fine in next few years:-) Till than, I will avoid this.
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2010, 05:06 PM
    Banging her head in frustration not a good sign. Have her checked out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stubborn 3 year old fights when he is told go potty and when he needs changed [ 1 Answers ]

Stubborn 3 yr old fights and runs around table when he needs changing of a diaper or clothing and he does the same when trying to get him to sit on the potty even though he will go on his own occasionally. I know he is ready because he will grab himself when he needs to pee and will sit in a...

New Behavioural issues with rescued dog. [ 4 Answers ]

I took in a rescued dog, who was a mess, two years ago. He had been kept in a cat carrier all the time, except when let out to pee and to eat, twice a day. He had no social skills, or training, or veterinary care. When I took him, he was one year old. He is a small poodle/terrier cross. He...

I am dating a man that has an 8 year old kid [ 16 Answers ]

About a month ago I met a man and we began dating. He told me from the start he had an 8 year old girl from a previous marriage. The first week was amazing because for some reason his child was at his mother's house all week and we spent every night that week together, dining, going to the...

Behavioural problems [ 7 Answers ]

My 12 year old son has had bad behaviour at home and at school for around 4 years, he can be violent and abusive to children and adults including me. The school think he could have ADHD and are at the moment doing assessments but I need help at home as my 13 year olkd daughter has had enough of her...

Stubborn 2 year old, thumb sucking [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, I know the title sounds very trite, but despite having read a lot on the net regarding my child's behaviour, I am still concerned. My daughter is 2 years and 2 months old. She is a sweet and lovable child but recently she has become very stubborn. She refuses to take a shower altogether. She...

View more questions Search