Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    got2run Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2010, 01:53 PM
    Does the overflow pipe have to be directly over the waste line pipe in the subfloor?
    We are installing a new tub in the exact spot the old tub stood, but the drain in the new tub is in the center of the length of the tub instead of the end like almost every other tub out there. (Its freestanding like a clawfoot tub but with a pillar base. -made for 2 people) We need to move the 1 1/2 " PVC waste line about 31"

Most Waste/overflow p-trap set ups have the OVERFLOW pipe T'd directly down over the waste drain hole in the subfloor.

So here's my question:
    Can I have the waste pipe drain hole in the subfloor directly under the TUB's drain hole???? Of course the P-trap has to be right next to the waste hole, correct?
    I would then have to run the overflow pipe 10" horizontally above floor level then up to the overflow tub cutout. The P-trap would still be between the waste line and the drain NOT between the drain and the overflow, correct?
    ....using the 1/4" per foot rule I will run out of slope if I run the waste pipe further than the tub's drain hole and go all the way to the overflow.
    What connection should I use where overflow, tub drain, waste pipe meet.. a T? Then 45 up above the subfloor to overflow?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 19, 2010, 06:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    So here's my question:
    Can I have the waste pipe drain hole in the subfloor directly under the TUB's drain hole????
    As a rule the trap raiser is directly under the tub waste and overflow band not the tub drain itself, (see image).
    Are you saying that you're replacing a regular tub with a above floor claw foot type tub?Can you post pictures? Cheers, Tom
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do install a main line cleanout in clay pipe? Pipe exposed, existing wye capped. [ 23 Answers ]

I would like to install a cleanout for my main drain line from my house to the city sewer system. There is no existing cleanout access for the main sewer drain line. House details: Huntington Beach, CA single-family tract house built 1960. Today I dug a hole to access the clay drain line. ...

Where to cut toilet pipe for new subfloor patch [ 9 Answers ]

Hello everyone, A few months ago we had some water damage from a leaky toilet. I decided I would pull up the linoleum since it had water damage and put some new stuff down. As I pulled up I found there was mold and significant damage to the sub-floor. We had a 2-week old baby at the time...

Directly overhead rain shower pipe that's crooked. [ 1 Answers ]

I had a contractor that installed an overhead rain shower that isn't straight. I can adjust the shower head itself so that the water comes down straight but the pipe coming out of the ceiling directly overhead is still crooked. Is there any way to correct? An offset pipe? It's probably 20 degrees...

Replace Lead Pipe from Toilet to Hubless Waste Pipe [ 3 Answers ]

My house is a craftsman style house from 1912 in Oakland, California. I have a big hole in a 24" horizontal lead pipe that bends at 90 degrees and connects the only toilet in the house to the hubless waste pipe. How do I go about removing the lead pipe? (What tools do I need and what type of...

Loud Bangs Coming from PVC waste pipe and Hot Water Copper Line [ 6 Answers ]

A year ago I had a crack and leak in our PVC waste pipe just behind our family room wall close to the first story floor. The plumber opened up the drywall and cut out the cracked portion (2 feet) which exended from just behind the family room wall down to the basement and replaced it with a new...

View more questions Search