Ask
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2007, 04:24 PM
    I've been wrestling with an induction. I think this'll work:

We must show is divisible by 11.

In other words,

Let k=1 and we get .

Base case is true. Now, we must show the induction step.

Let:

=

Add and subtract 10^2:

=

=

is divisible by 11 and so is 99.

Therefore, QED and all that.
    pj_martins Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2007, 06:34 AM
    This proof works if we have an even number of 0s, since 10^(2k+1) + 1 will always give you an even number of 0s, e.g.. 1001, 100001...
    What about if there's an odd number of 0s, i.e. Prove the formula
    (10^(k+1))^2 + 1 is not prime for k > 1
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 07:57 AM
    Look again. 2k+1 is an odd integer. The proof is sound.
    asterisk_man Posts: 476, Reputation: 32

Sep 21, 2007, 01:06 PM
    I'm really curious about why my months old post about only 101 being prime matters to anyone.
    problemsolving Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2007, 05:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie1963
    I need to find 2 prime numbers that, if multiplied, would generate a 400-digit number. Any idea how to go about this. I have all the prime numbers but no matter what I do I do not get 400. Am I looking at this question wrong maybe?
    Do you go to itt tech?? I have this same question and there's 4 or 5 of us working on it and have yet to find an answer myself..
    trinaity Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2008, 08:11 PM
    Did anyone ever find the answer? I'm going to itt tech, and I have to solve this also. Any help would be greatly appreiciated
    jkersey76 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2008, 09:49 PM
    I have found one, there is a program you can down load free at:Mersenne Primes: History, Theorems and Lists you can visit:Math Forum - Ask Dr. Math for instructions on use...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Prime numbers [ 6 Answers ]

What is a prime number -describe and use an example please.

Prime numbers [ 7 Answers ]

a buddy of mine posts hard math problems on myspace. I'm no math whiz so I enlist the help of others... help me out please What is the largest prime you can write using the digits from the 7th 4-digit prime in consecutive digits of (-1)^(1/(Pi * I))... where "i" of course equals sqrt(-1) ...

9 digit zip code imports as 0, not 9 digits [ 8 Answers ]

I am using MS Word and MS Excel 2003. From MS Word, I have done a MAIL MERGE, and some of the zip codes are 5 digit, while others are 9 digit, as in 12345-6789. After doing the mail merge, and previewing the letters, the 9 digit zip codes get imported as 0. Certainly the MS Word software should...

Replace Robertshaw 400 series with Honeywell programmable [ 1 Answers ]

Cooling system does not work properly although the heating system works fine. My thermostat is a Robertshaw 400 series installed by my home-builder in 1998. I was informed that the heating/AC system was a (dual) zone system with an upstairs thermostat. I wish to replace this thermostat with...

Should I open a IRA to save about $400 in taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I did my taxes, and it advises me that if I open an IRA (I never had one), I will save about $400 in taxes. I am in the mid 40. Is there any issues (need to pay penalty? - tax due is OK) in getting the money say I was in trouble - unemployed it or whatever?

View more questions Search