Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fednerbassman95 Posts: 71, Reputation: 9

Aug 17, 2010, 05:51 PM
    Dizzy when running
    I am a cross country runner and the last few days I have been feeling light-headed after about 5 miles. I can't eat within three hours before a run do to stomach cramps. I have a family history of hypoglycemia stemming from my mother's side due to similar body types (tall and skinny). I'm not sure what to do about it but I would appreciate any advice you could give.
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2010, 10:14 AM

It sounds like you running out of blood sugar. When you do, your body switches over to burning fat instead, but this often feels horrible, with dizzyness and light headedness until the switch is over.

Eat a handful of raisins before you start running. This is small and won't upset your stomach, but could make the difference.

There was a very interesting study which found that just swishing some sugary liquid round your mouth make you stronger and able to run longer, even if you never swallowed it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why am I getting dizzy? [ 33 Answers ]

I keep getting dizzy.I told my grandma and my parents so they took me to a doctor.the doctor said I need more liquid water and more salt.I tried that.days or weeks later,it did not help.I was starting to get dizzy again and this time I wasn't over heated,nothing was wrong with my blood pressure.I...

Why am I dizzy? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 8weeks pregnant. I'm having dizzy spells. I have never had this with my other 3 pregnancies. I'm dizzy if I'm laying down, sitting up, or standing. I don't like being dizzy. My first obgyn appt is next week. Has anyone ever been dizzy while pregnant?Thank you!

Very dizzy [ 5 Answers ]

Hey So... Recently my throat has been hurting I am had a runny nose and losing my voice. I have a cold but no fever I guess? But I am SO SO SO SO dizzy! Like I turn my head and I get lightheaded. Is that normal to come with these symptoms?

Why Am I Dizzy? [ 2 Answers ]

So it's 8 days after my ovulation date, me and my significant other did the "dew" on the 5th, 3rd day before I ovulated... Now Im dizzy as heck all the time, my breasts are feeling funny but I don't want to sike myself out because my period is also due next week..? :confused:

Dizzy [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I'm 29yrs old and my dizzy spells are getting worst, I fainted a few times, I always had this problem but now its getting worst. Sometimes my heart beats fast and I sweat and I forget a lot in school or when someone talks to me. I lose balance a lot and I'm afraid to leave the house, this happen...

View more questions Search