Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pallaki Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2010, 11:41 AM
    Bumble bee metamorphosis.
    Is it true bumble bee cannot produce off springs. So what it does is, it catches any small insect. Then it creates a nest kind of thing around the insect. And after that, it flies around that nest with buzz kind of
    Sound, for 21 days. Then whatever may be the insect inside, it becomes like a bumble bee.

Is this a scientific fact?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 17, 2010, 11:50 AM

Where did you read or hear this idea ? There is a queen bee in the hive, the other bees are worker bees. She produces the eggs that produce more worker bees and maybe another queen. All worker bees are subservient to her.

How old are you anyway, pallaki ? I think you need to go back and read about the birds and bees and get it straight.

Tick
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 17, 2010, 12:00 PM

Pallaki, that is a fascinating example of an urban myth. I would guess it sprang from bumblebees buzzing inside a nest in hot weather to keep their honey cooled. Yes, bumblebees make honey. It's even edible, but tastes disgusting.

More to the point, bumblebee queens lay eggs just like other bees.
    Expert

Aug 17, 2010, 12:33 PM
    [QUOTE=Catsmine;2486302 Yes, bumblebees make honey. It's even edible, but tastes disgusting.

.[/QUOTE]

Honey tasting disgusting is a matter of taste, and opinion. There are mega varieties of honey, all extremely healhful in their different ways. Unfortunately honey bees are susceptible to environmental changes in our ecosystem, meaning they are dying off at an alarming rate because we can't keep our planet clean. Honey bees give so much back to us, plus lot of vitamin C !

Tick
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 17, 2010, 12:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    honey tasting disgusting is a matter of taste, and opinion.
    No, I mean "it's almost as good as Ipecac for inducing vomiting" disagusting. Bumblebee honey is started by the queen each year and the molds and fungi in it are nourishing to the bees but quite often trigger allergies in humans. Stick with the products of their smaller cousins, the honeybee.
    Expert

Aug 17, 2010, 01:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Stick with the products of their smaller cousins, the honeybee.
    Oh, I see, thank you Cats ! I see what you mean now. Apologies, forever grateful, how to I make it up to you ! Do you want to see my worse pic ? Maybe you will like it, Stringer never did, he thought it was something from StarWars. I think he made reference to something fat and disgusting... chewbaka... does that ring a bell?

Ms tickle
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 17, 2010, 02:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    oh, I see, thank you Cats ! I see what you mean now. Apologies, forever grateful, how to I make it up to you ! Do you wanna see my worse pic ? Maybe you will like it, Stringer never did, he thought it was something from StarWars. I think he made reference to something fat and disgusting.......chewbaka...does that ring a bell?

ms tickle
    Not to worry, hon.

Pallaki, did these answers help?
    Expert

Aug 17, 2010, 04:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Not to worry, hon.

Pallaki, did these answers help?
    Just so you know, Cats, can't stand being called 'hon'. It is so demeaning in some way.

I am sure these answers helped Pallaki, Cats. They were both intelligent and informative from two very well read people.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bumble Bees [ 3 Answers ]

AGHHH! I think I have a similar problem... earlier this spring I moved a large garbage can and got swarmed by "bumble" bees... believe me they havd stingers... they stuck to my clothes biying me severaldozen times... I think we counted at least 50 bites from head to toe... found out I'm not...

Product to get rid of bumble bees [ 3 Answers ]

I have a bee phobia and I tried to kill a bumble bee the other day. Now the bee is really aggressive and every time I sit outside he bothers me. I can't find the nest is their any kind of product I can use to get rid of them??

Bumble bee or carpenter bee [ 3 Answers ]

I live in an apartment building on the second floor and every summer I get bees that fly by my window and by the entrance, I think their nest is by the roof how can I get rid of them. I'm afraid my kids might get bitten by them, I don't want to kill them but maybe scare them away, please somebody...

Metamorphosis [ 18 Answers ]

The NY Slimes has made a sudden baby step towards the center .After years of cultivating a readership of the hard core left ,they have decided to introduce a little balance by hiring William Kristol to write a weekly column in the op-ed section of the paper. This move has not been taken kindly...

Metamorphosis of a candidate [ 2 Answers ]

We've all heard how "George Bush's war" changed from WMD's to whatever it's said to be now, how Romney and Giuliani have switched their views on certain social issues, but what about Hillary? It wasn't that long ago that Hillary was standing by her vote on the Iraq war, that she did what she...

View more questions Search