Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Annemieke Posts: 43, Reputation: 3

Aug 16, 2010, 11:43 PM
    Redbush tea: can it have negative effects as well? It seems to give me stomach cramps
    I don't drink normal tea or coffee. Redbush seems to trigger my tendency to stomach cramps sometimes. I don't drink more than 4 cups a day, with honey and milk.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2010, 11:51 PM
    When it comes down to personal experience, go with that.

Redbush isn't widely cited for inducing stomach problems... but there is nothing like listening to your own, unique body.

Doesn't matter if it helps calm other while irritating you... it just matters what it does to you. So the general pop gets a spasmic reprieve. You don't. Welcome to humanity. What works for others irritates you.

It happens.
    herballist Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2010, 01:31 PM
    Don't put milk in it, the casein will stop you absorbing all the great health benefits. Try the green rooibos with lemon. Rooibos and lemon combine to make one hell of a good alkalizing drink for maximum health :)

Besides, milk in rooibos tastes icky..
    cazort Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Dec 9, 2010, 12:27 PM
    Rooibos has a number of medicinal properties, and unfortunately, they haven't been thoroughly studied scientifically. There's some evidence it acts as a bronchodilator, and several of my friends have verified this, saying it helps their asthma. It also seems to have effects (generally thought to be positive) on the immune system. I have collected some of this information together on a page on rooibos. The point though: rooibos has significant medicinal properties, and it may have undesirable effects in some people.

However, no substance is universally good for you, and each person has a unique body chemistry: what is good for one person isn't necessarily going to be good for another. A few people I know (it's rare) have told me that rooibos gives them a headache.

If it upsets your stomach, cut back, or stop drinking it. I have never had a problem with rooibos, but I've also never had more than 2 cups of it a day. If you like rooibos and want to keep drinking it, just cut back. Most of the scientific work on rooibos has studied dosages close to drinking a single cup, so you may just be overloading your body if you're drinking 4 cups every day. You may also try looking into green rooibos, which is to red rooibos what green tea is to black tea. Personally, I find green tea much gentler on the stomach than black tea, so it seems likely that you might find green rooibos to be gentler on your stomach.

If you really like herbal tea (as I do), you may also want to experiment with other herbal teas. There are so many great options out there that are caffeine-free. It's best to practice moderation, and diversify your diet and use of beverages and herbs. Your body will probably feel better if you mix up the herb teas that you drink, instead of drinking the same thing every time.

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Constant cramps and pains in stomach that turn into diarreha [ 1 Answers ]

I am a 30 year old male and have been diagnosed with Irritable Bowel syndrome. I have had a rang of tests from endoscopies to colonoscopies. I suffer from constant pains in stomach that can flare up at any time. Most of the time, I still only feel 70% because there is always a constant...

Diarohea,stomach cramps, eating more, sore breasts. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I'm on the depo vera shot. I was having family problems, my family had just been in a car crash, I ended up missing the date off my injection, I had sex three times during that week. Im now suffering from sore breats, diarohea which only started yesterday and also getting nasty cramps. Not sure...

I have stomach cramps, sore and tender breasts, fatigue but the test was negative [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I really need help from someone. I have had sore and tender breats for the past week, had light stomach cramps last week. Am very tired all the time. I thought I was pregnant then yesterday I have really BAD stomach cramps and lots of bright red bleeding. I decided to take a pregnancy...

Bad stomach cramps. Tightening [ 3 Answers ]

Alrighty for the last two days my stomach has been cramping bad. I mean really really bad. Its near my belly button and goes straight across and below. It feels like its tightening and like its pulling. **TMI** I haven't been having to run to the bathroom or anything but when I do go its horrible...

Stomach cramps [ 1 Answers ]

My stomach cramps hurt very much but I know its not period pains

View more questions Search