Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Oct 8, 2005, 09:27 AM
    Canaanites
    Quote Originally Posted by juanruiz
    So let's all go out now and kill us some Canaanites!

There are no people today identifiable as Canaanites. Do you mean Palestinians or Iraqis?

MORGANITE

:)
    keenu Posts: 114, Reputation: 9

Oct 8, 2005, 12:35 PM
    The theme of the bible
    The only theme of the bible that is worth any weight is the message that we should treat others as we treat ourselves.
    I cannot believe, it boggles my mind, that people actually believe in god and the devil and sin. In my opinion (I'm not knocking others here... ) I find that so incredibly unbelieveable. I have studied and read the bible so I know all that you have stated. But I have also studied much much more than the bible and I know what is behind it. Doesn't anyone out there (helllloooooo ouuuuut thhheeeere... eeeeere... eeeere... ) desire to learn what our true history is? What went on before the bible and led up to it? What god really is/was?
    phildebenham Posts: 95, Reputation: 9

Oct 8, 2005, 03:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by keenu
    The only theme of the bible that is worth any weight is the message that we should treat others as we treat ourselves.
    I cannot believe, it boggles my mind, that people actually believe in god and the devil and sin. In my opinion (I'm not knocking others here...) I find that so incredibly unbelieveable. I have studied and read the bible so I know all that you have stated. But I have also studied much much more than the bible and I know what is behind it. Doesn't anyone out there (helllloooooo ouuuuut thhheeeere....eeeeere....eeeere....) desire to learn what our true history is? What went on before the bible and led up to it? What god really is/was?
    Sure, I want to know. Suppose you tell me.
    MaggieB Posts: 22, Reputation: 4

Oct 8, 2005, 04:59 PM
    The Theme of the Bible
    I'm with Phil Debenham, tell us what God really was and is! Give us the history before the Bible.

MaggieB

Oct 9, 2005, 05:32 AM
    I cannot believe, it boggles my mind, that people actually believe in god and the devil and sin. In my opinion (I'm not knocking others here...) I find that so incredibly unbelieveable. I have studied and read the bible so I know all that you have stated. But I have also studied much much more than the bible and I know what is behind it. Doesn't anyone out there (helllloooooo ouuuuut thhheeeere....eeeeere....eeeere....) desire to learn what our true history is? What went on before the bible and led up to it? What god really is/was?

Why don't you tell us foolish believers who have, as you insist, been led astray, exactly how we are led astray, when, and by whom? Do it as a service to save ourselves from our own ignorant foolishness.

I'd like to know the whole background and history of the Bible in minute detail so that I can see where I have been going wrong. Please bring me up to date.

MORGANITE :)
    keenu Posts: 114, Reputation: 9

Oct 11, 2005, 05:07 PM
    Interpretation
    Look, if you want to interpret what I say in the way you do, then fine. So be it. All I am saying is that there is more to the bible than meets the eye and I am very surprised that more people don't want to explore what that might be. I have and it is really interesting. But with the reactions to my posts that I am finding here I care not to pursue any further discussions with you. I am sure that you will interpret this as my inability to further educate you... but that is your responsibility, not mine.

Oct 11, 2005, 07:38 PM
    Keenu
    Look, if you want to interpret what I say in the way you do, then fine. So be it. All I am saying is that there is more to the bible than meets the eye and I am very surprised that more people don't want to explore what that might be. I have and it is really interesting. But with the reactions to my posts that I am finding here I care not to pursue any further discussions with you. I am sure that you will interpret this as my inability to further educate you...but that is your responsibility, not mine.

So - you won't talk, eh? That speaks volumes.

Thank you.

phildebenham Posts: 95, Reputation: 9

Oct 11, 2005, 08:14 PM
    Look, if you want to interpret what I say in the way you do, then fine. So be it. All I am saying is that there is more to the bible than meets the eye and I am very surprised that more people don't want to explore what that might be. I have and it is really interesting. But with the reactions to my posts that I am finding here I care not to pursue any further discussions with you. I am sure that you will interpret this as my inability to further educate you...but that is your responsibility, not mine.
    Keenu,

Be serious for a minute. You say there is more to the bible than meets the eye, but you are unwilling to give even a hint of an example. Let's discuss this, Keenu. Tell me something of the "more than meets the eye" and let's talk about it. You made a statement and a few of us said, "ok, show me." Nothing wrong with that. Let's talk!

Phil
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2005, 05:33 PM
    More than meets the eye?
    Iwould really liketo know what that is.
    But Keenu says he will nor discuss it further.
    Why.:confused:

Curious minds wanr to know.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred

Oct 13, 2005, 09:21 AM
    Keenu
    Quote Originally Posted by arcura
    Iwould really liketo know what that is.
    But Keenu says he will nor discuss it futher.
    Why.:confused:

Curious minds wanr to know.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred

Keenu is here to answer questions, so I am sure that Keenu will do some thinking and rejoin the discussion.

MORGANITE

mrsblwashington Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2005, 08:03 PM
    Psalms
    What events in the life of jesus parallel those desrcibed in Psamls 3,9,16?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 12, 2005, 04:53 PM
    Theme
    While many may disagree but the bible is a collection of various books written by dozens of authors during different time frames.

While one could say many things, about God's love, the meaning of our existence, But one has to also remember that each section was written for specific reasons, a history, rules and laws, relationship with God.
    Even in one section such as the Psalms mostly written by David, different chapters have different relationships showing Davids position to God at that time.

You return to a lot of historical information, given from different points of view from various authors to people of different backgrounds for different reasons ( first books of the new testement)

Add to that a lot of Pauls letters with guidelines for christian living.

So the theme in general is our relationship with God, and his relationship to us.

But it is a book that will tell us everything we need to know if we allow ourself to be open to it.
    celtearth Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Nov 12, 2005, 06:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    But it is a book that will tell us everything we need to know if we allow ourself to be open to it.
    The bible doesn't answer so many questions - that's why there is so much doubt in it by so many people. It certainly doesn't tell us EVERYTHING we need to know. It's more like anecdotes than anything else, and skewed by the authors perceptions and beliefs.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 12, 2005, 07:19 PM
    To Know
    It does indeed tell us what we need to know, perhaps not what you want to know, or tell you that what you think is right. It oftens lets us know that our ideas are not correct and we need to correct issues in our life.

But it is a guide in life, from rasing children, how to run a business, how to treat our neibhtors, who to relate to others, marriage, and all sorts of issues in life.

It is only when we wish to ignore what it says, because we wish to live some other way is where the problem comes in.

Nov 12, 2005, 07:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    It does indeed tell us what we need to know, perhpas not what you want to know, or tell you that what you think is right. It oftens lets us know that our ideas are not correct and we need to correct issues in our life.

But it is a guide in life, from rasing childen, how to run a business, how to treat our neibhtors, who to relate to others, marriage, and all sorts of issues in life.

It is only when we wish to ignore what it says, because we wish to live some other way is where the problem comes in.
    The bible lacks credibility, how could I believe it was from God, it is so far from perfect, it is of men and obviously so. God is beyond the bible.

Nov 12, 2005, 07:37 PM
    I very much agree with you. It seems people expect you to teach them yourself instead of them seeking out the information themselves. Meanwhile, all they'd simply do is argue with you. It's funny. People aren't very interested in looking outside their narrow boxed in views and to all others that do they seem to want to bring them down. But it is their own ignorance that keeps them in that argument. To simply take a book and revolve their lives around it without knowing the history and events surrounding that book before and after is only being ignorant. The authors of the bible were quite clever in some ways, like by saying that the fall of the first people were by eating of the tree of knowledge. Therefore, the authors would like to have the readers not use knowledge or their own intelligence to look outside the books writings as it would be sinful - that like eating of the tree of knowledge. It's been designed to cause guilt and fear if one doesn't look outside to the rest of the worlds gifts of spirituality.

God is beyond the bible, and not limited to merely a few pages.

Nov 12, 2005, 07:44 PM
    The theme of this thread is that people are not willing to learn and open up but to push others down and prove their own ways as right and to put themselves on pedestals beyond others. Ego wins again. This is sad, it is very unevolved, and proves that a lot of people still don't get it. We are all from the same source, some are just too blind to see it.

And people continue on... ego wins again.

God is beyond the bible, God is beyond the ego.

Nov 14, 2005, 09:09 AM
    The Bible or the Believer?
    Quote Originally Posted by celtearth
    The theme of this thread is that people are not willing to learn and open up but to push others down and prove their own ways as right and to put themselves on pedestals beyond others. Ego wins again. This is sad, it is very unevolved, and proves that a lot of people still don't get it. We are all from the same source, some are just too blind to see it.

And people continue on..... ego wins again.

God is beyond the bible, God is beyond the ego.

I am not interested in getting in between this tussle of explanations, but it is obvious from what has been written that each represents a view that is incompatible with the other's.

One view is from someone who has intimate knowledge of the Bible and its history, the conditions of the people at the time eachbook was written, its background, its production, its development, its purposes, and so forth.

The other is from someone who has what I will call an outside view of the Bible and who does not deal with its contents but is content to attack those who use the Bible as a religious and spiritual guide.

Because the disputants argue from different premises there will never agree.

If you could settle what is to be the ground of your discussion, whether it is (A) the Bible itself, or whether it is to be (B) the behaviour of Bible believers. Then fruitful discourse might follow.

But as long as you both address different propositions there can be no meeting of minds on what is a truly fascinating and worthwhile subject which, in my opinion, deserves better than the hurling of epithets against those who believe in it.

Separate the Book from the Believer and maintain focus on the issue, which is the Bible.

MORGANITE

. :)

Nov 16, 2005, 05:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganite
    in my opinion, deserves better than the hurling of epithets aginst those who believe in it.

MORGANITE

. :)
    And You are obviously biased to one side also because you failed to mention the hurling of epithets against those who do not believe in it.

Nov 17, 2005, 09:47 AM
    Epithets
    Quote Originally Posted by celtearth
    And You are obviously biased to one side also because you failed to mention the hurling of epithets against those who do not believe in it.

Show me where I have hurled epithets against anyone who does not believe in it.

My point is that posting emotional opinions unsupported by evidence instead of dealing with the subject on a serious level ius futile.

Hurling epithets at anyone for anything they do or do not believe in is futile.

The Bible, like all religious books, deserves better treatment than a put down. I believed I had made that clear in my previous post.

I am not interested in getting in between this tussle of explanations, but it is obvious from what has been written that each represents a view that is incompatible with the other's.

One view is from someone who has intimate knowledge of the Bible and its history, the conditions of the people at the time eachbook was written, its background, its production, its development, its purposes, and so forth.

The other is from someone who has what I will call an outside view of the Bible and who does not deal with its contents but is content to attack those who use the Bible as a religious and spiritual guide.

Because the disputants argue from different premises there will never agree.

If you could settle what is to be the ground of your discussion, whether it is (A) the Bible itself, or whether it is to be (B) the behaviour of Bible believers. then fruitful discourse might follow.

But as long as you both address different propositions there can be no meeting of minds on what is a truly fascinating and worthwhile subject which, in my opinion, deserves better than the hurling of epithets aginst those who believe in it.

Seperate the Book from the Believer and maintain focus on the issue, which is the Bible.

MORGANITE

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bible Help [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for the translation from the Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic Bible into English. There are so many versions, and I keep getting pointed in different directions. Please Help! I'm Catholic, and I want something the King James Version. Thank you!

Bible study [ 8 Answers ]

How to do a bible study? I am a teen and I want to do a bible study.Please give me some guidance on that

The Background to the Bible [ 1 Answers ]

Thinking about something Keenu wrote about the background to the Bible wouldn't it be accurate to say that it didn't have one single background but each book of the Bible had its own background? What thoughts do you have? MORGANITE

Bible Help [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for the oldest translation from the Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic Bible into English.  There are so many versions, and I keep getting pointed in different directions.  Please Help!  I'm Catholic, and I want something before the King James Version. Thank you! RionerPoet

View more questions Search