Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mortified_20 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2010, 08:43 AM
    I was caught charging groceries to my employers co op account and was charged
    I was caught charging groceries to my employers charge account at our local co-op and am being charged eith theft under $5000. The total cost of groceries charged was $3600 over a course of 4 months. I started doing it because we were very hard off and my babies needed to be fed. My intention was never to hurt my boss and I feel terrible. I have full intentions of paying back every penny. What am I looking at here as this is my first offence with a completely clean record. I don't want this to ruin my life and in a small community it counld as I may not get hired to another job and I don't want a criminal record... I feel terrible for what I have done.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2010, 08:56 AM

Why you did it is going to matter very little. One of the concern is that the stealing continued over a period and was not a one-time event. You also apparently didn't simply stop; you were caught.

You mention under $5,000, which sounds like Canada. Employer theft is taken far more seriously than, for example, shoplifting. You might be eligible for the diversion program but it's my understanding that this program is not offered when it's theft from an employer.

I would get a very good Attorney.
    Mortified_20 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2010, 11:54 AM

Ugh... so there is no hope for me basically?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2010, 11:56 AM

You don't know until you get to Court but I think an Attorney could make a big difference in the outcome.

The charges, of course, are serious and you don't want this following you around for the rest of your life.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Caught with Possession and Paraphernalia. Not charged yet? [ 4 Answers ]

Incident happened in July 2009. Caught with Half ounce and paraphernalia. I didn't get arrested nor cited with anything. They told me that they were going to let me go and that someone would be in touch with me the following Monday. I never got a call. 3 1/2 months later my parents get a call from...

Being sued when account is charged off [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I was served today with papers I have a loan for a surgery that was charged off on my credit in 02/2007 and now I am being sued is that legal? Or what can I do thanks:eek:

How long can the Police Freeze my bank account without charging me for a crime? [ 4 Answers ]

5 years ago I was fired from my employer which was a bank on posssible suspicion of stealing money from the bank with another employee. Charges have never been filed and I haven't heard anything from the bank or law enforcement since I went in and gave them a statement a few days after being...

Account was charged off [ 27 Answers ]

1 more question, I promise I won't bother anyone again. To summarize, I was served a summons from MBNA from the county sheriff. I had 30 days to respond to a PO Box at the court house. I sent a letter( didn't know better-now since reading should have done it differently). I called the law...

View more questions Search