Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Vangs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2006, 10:11 AM
    Windows XP Pro SP2 Wireless Networking Issue - Refuses to Connect to Router
    Hi, I have a home network of 3 computers which share the same broadband connection. I moved house a few months ago and until then I was able to run the internet connection into the wireless router, unfortunately my new ISP (Spanish ISP, Telefonica) refuses connection with everything except their router, preventing me from using the wireless router I have.

To solve the problem I wired 1 of my PCs directly to the router, then had it share the internet connection to the wireless network, allowing the other computers to access the internet. This was all working perfectly until 2 nights ago. The wireless network kept dropping its connection randomly. Now it refuses to connect at all. I have internet on the PC that is directly wired through the LAN router, but it refuses to connect to the wireless router. I've used 2 different wireless routers, and 2 different kind of wireless network cards, and none work.

In the 'Network Connections' panel it just states "Not Connected", and no amount of repairing or disabling and re-enabling seems to fix the problem. I'm at a total loss at what to do, I've tried searching through the threads already here and there doesn't appear to be anything which covers my problem.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide me!
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Dec 22, 2006, 08:43 AM
    Vangs, for this situation what you need is a wireless access point, not a wireless router. A wireless access point could plug directly into one of the ports on the Telefonica router.
    Vangs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2006, 01:51 PM
    Thanks for your response, I've managed to get it fixed to the way it was before. I swapped around the PCs, and got the network running correctly with my main PC and Laptop, then just changed the IP settings on the host computer and everything is running again.

I'll check into the wireless access point though, thanks for suggesting that. :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Use my NETGEAR WGR614 v5 Wireless router as a WAP? [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, so everyone said this would be easy. The kid at (insert popular electronics store here) said it would be no problem to use my already owned/unused router to set up a WAP that will connect with the other router in the house, so I can 1: hook my vonage device into my router, and 2:...

Windows XP SP2 -> Owner [ 5 Answers ]

OS: Windows XP SP2 Background: I purchased a laptop and when I installed or booted for the first time it never asked me for my user name. Usually when I install an O/S I will give XP my name like "Don Lazov" and then when I go to C:\Documents and Settings I will see some folders with sure...

Gigabit networking issue [ 3 Answers ]

OK, I'm in the process of upgrading my LAN backbone to Gigabit. For more of an over view have a look Here. So I'm running a 3 box stack of Netgear FS752 these connect to two 16 port Gig switches, Netgear GS516T. So the problem I'm having is this. My primary server, #1, has 2 onboard gig...

Networking Win95 and Win XP Pro [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to network a win95 computer and a computer running windows xp pro. I have a high speed connection (dsl) and a linksys router. It is not a wireless router. I have a brand new ethernet card on the win 95 computer. I connected the computer on 95 sand the router and the link was detected...

View more questions Search