Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sugarr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2010, 07:21 PM
    How do I wire 2 separate ceiling fan/light controls from one power source?
    How do I wire 2 separate dual slide controls for 2 separate ceiling fans with lights from one power source in a 2 gang box? One dual controller is to independently control the fan from the light in ceiling fan 1 and the other dual controller is to do the same for ceiling fan 2.
    Can this be done from one power source? Thanks.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Aug 15, 2010, 08:34 PM

I am not sure how to answer this other than to say you splice the hot wire to the black wire of both controls. This is pretty basic stuff.

What wire do you have going up to the fans?
    sugarr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2010, 04:46 PM
    The wire up to 2 existing ceiling lights that will be replaced by 2 fan/light units is 14/2.
    Both lights are now on one common switch with 14/2 power in at switch. I think I understand correctly that the 14/2 up to the fans has to be replaced with 14/3.
    My original question was just to make sure I could pigtail the hot black power source to 2 new dual controller switches. Thanks.
    Pastor Dunbar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2013, 04:00 PM
    I have a double gang box with two three switches for separate lights but one power source coming to the box
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 15, 2013, 06:51 AM
    OK, do you have a question or problem?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why will the power source not work to newly installed ceiling fan? [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to install a new ceiling fan... I have installed the motor and wanted to test Power to turn motor before attaching light and blades... when I switched on /off from Wall it is not getting power.. Tested on/off switch next to it that controls porch light And it works fine. Used...

Ceiling Fan with separate fan & light switches-3 way [ 2 Answers ]

How do you wire a ceiling fan to two separate switches- 1 to the fan and 1 to the light switch which happens to be a 3-way switch? There is a 3 wire running to the fan and a 3 wire running to the next 3 way switch. So in the box I have 6 wires and 2 grounds. Puzzeled Brian

One power source to fan need dimmer for light only [ 2 Answers ]

I have one switch to my fan junction box. Does anyone know of a remote that I can install in the junction box that will allow me to dim the light? I found one that will allow me to turn the light on/off (by Hampton Bay) and control the fan speed, but I need to control the light brightness.

How to wire a bathroom light and fan to separate switches. [ 1 Answers ]

I removed old switches and plugs from existing box. I installed a single pole switch for the vanity lights which is working correctly. I have installed a "double switch" for the tub light and the fan. I want to wire the light to the upper switch and the fan to the lower switch. There are four...

Ceiling fan with light kit on separate switches [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently replaced a ceiling fan with light kit with a newer model. I hooked up the wires from the new fan/light to the same wires in the ceiling box that the old fan was hooked up to. There are two switches on the wall plate, one for the light and one for the fan. When I hooked up the new...

View more questions Search