Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rmb12010 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2010, 04:32 PM
    Beneficiary of deceased parent 401k
    My deceased mother wanted to leave me and my siblings money from her 401k. She was married when she passed, but her husband was incarcerated. Does he lose all rights to the 401k?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 15, 2010, 05:04 PM

No, he would still be her heir if they are still married.

But a 401K normally does not go to the estate, if they put a beneficiary on the plan, just like a life insurance policy, they included instructions on who were to get the money at their death with the 401K management company. So merely contact them and ask who the beneficiary is.

Hopefully she make those changes to what she wanted to happen. Sadly too many people want things to happen, but never do what is required to make it happen
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 15, 2010, 05:05 PM

Just because he is in jail doesn't mean he can't be named in a will and left money.
    Who is named in the will, you and siblings and your deceased mother's husband? You don't say who is named, just what your mothers wishes were.

Tick
    hds Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2012, 10:11 AM
    My husband passed away in Nov. I am trying to get new beneficiaries on the IRA's and all that I got from him. When filling them out I want our son and my deceased daughter's daughter(granddaughter) to receive the money.Our son will be the one to pay all bills for me. Do I put a lesser % in our son's portion so he will have it to pay any outstanding bills?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need the social security number for the beneficiary that I choose for my 401k? [ 2 Answers ]

Do I need the social security number for the beneficiary that I choose for my 401k? A friend want to put my 5 year old daughter as a beneficiary and I don't want to give out her social security number.

Does spouse automatically become beneficiary of 401K at marriage [ 1 Answers ]

Our son lives in WA (a Community Property State). He is in the process of terminating a marriage that lasted less than 6 months. The Beneficiary Designation on his 4041K eas never changed to name this wife. Does she have any right to any portion of his 401K? Is there any actions he should take...

Beneficiary 401K in California-Taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

My mother passed away this month and my concern is her 401K's they are from 5 different companies and there is issues with death benefits I do not understand as a beneficiary in the state of California.My mom wishes for her 6 grandchildren to get this money but only 2 of us are the beneficiaries...

Disbursment of 401k to non-spouse beneficiary [ 2 Answers ]

I've just been informed I was still named as beneficiary on my ex-wife's 401k retirement plan at work. She passed away unfortunately this year. Her daughter has informed me as to my beneficiary status and asked that I give her and her surviving son the funds in the account. When we divorced...

View more questions Search