Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angelcv Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2006, 07:08 AM
    Declare bankruptcy?
    Can you declare bankruptcy when you owe 20 000 and if not what do they do,how much do they make you pay per month,can you still put money aside in a bank and what do they take from you.:confused:
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 21, 2006, 07:30 PM
    Angel:

The amount you owe is only one part of the scenario to be considered if bankruptcy is an option.

A debt of $20,000 can be rather heavy for someone who makes only $30,000 a year. For someone who makes $300,000 a year, it is a minor inconvenience.

Also considered are your age, whether you are single or married, what other assets you have in your name, and other factors.

I suggest you seek guidance from a counselor associated with Consumer Credit Counseling Service (can be found in the Yellow Pages). If bankruptcy is an option, they will tell you how to go about it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 21, 2006, 08:01 PM
    I agree with ATE, Also there is no way to answer the rest of your questions without knowing more details about the nature of the debt, the status of the debt, your income etc. You would be better off discussing this with a counselor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bankruptcy in FL [ 4 Answers ]

I have some questions about Bankruptcy. I see in Chapter 13 you keep your possessions because you are repaying your debt. Has anyone here filed for Bankruptcy here in FL. Can you give advice. Then also is an insurance company considered a creditor - will my bankruptcy be reported to them. I...

Bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: Thank you for your replay about the foreclosure. If I have to pay the bank the difference between the sale price and what I owe in a foreclosure, What happen if I declare myself in bankrupt?

Bankruptcy [ 4 Answers ]

I filed bankruptcy. I listed all creditors. The trustee had a meeting of creditors. My X- husband showed up contesting my having him on the list of creditors (it was not for spousal support, but some common bills) The Trustee threw him out as he was not very polite. My Bankruptcy was granted...

Maybe bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

Mom died in 2000, brother was taking care of her, he and I became joint owners of the house. He had been living in the house with her, continued to live there. He asked me to co-sign on a mortgage, to pay his debts and some of hers. I agreed (foolish of me). The house was assessed at $80,000; the...

Bankruptcy [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know what the difference is now that the bankruptcy laws have changed? What exactly has changed that would prevent a person from getting a say... Chapter 7 now as compared to before the law changed. This would be for the state of PA. Thanks for any help.

View more questions Search