Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rickjames1011 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2010, 09:46 PM
    Merged
    Hello all, I am in need of some good advice and hopefully some support through this tough time... I don't want to hear that we have to go into an in-patient clinic and that we need professional help because unfortunately, at this time its not an option at all!

My wife and I started doing oxycontin around a year and a half ago. We have always crushed it up and snorted it because that is how we were turned onto it and we never tried doing it any other way... at first we could not finish an 80mg pill between the two of us in one night. Now we are doing an 80mg each per night! We have tried many times to kick but have never gotten passed the withdrawals and relapsed. I don't think that we really wanted to quit in the past and that is the reason we never beat it! But now we are ready and I would like to know what the best way to do it is. About a month ago we stopped and made it ten days but my wife was still going through withdrawals where for me it was manageble and we had neglected everything during that time so we were on the vurge of losing everything! So we started back up to get back on track and we are now doing much better and I got a job finally and my wife finished summer classes and is about to start up her senior year in college. We want to stop very badly but like I said before, we are unable to go to a in-treatment center and are a couple of days away from kicking it again and hopefully for good this time... I have 25 kilonipins(sp?) to help but does anyone have any advice I can use for this tough time we have ahead of us? I know we can do it but I just don't want to lose everything in the process! How long will it take? Any home remedies anyone knows about? I have access to different types of pills, are there any that will help more so than kilonipins? The only things I don't have access to are sub oxy and methadone. Thank you in advance for any help, we want our lives back

Thank you everyone for the good advice and kind words again... I have tried multiple places like this but never have I gotten such warm and helpful responses. We have been trying to taper off but it seems like when we have it in our possession, it is extremely diificult not to do "just one more" for the night or to go to sleep, etc. I truly believe that I am ready to do this! Now I just have to get my wife in the same mind frame... I think I will take your guys advice and try to find some type of meetings we cango to in the evenings... do they really help? Ok so benedryl, lots of water, lots of rest, warm baths, meetings and determination. Does anyone know how long I can expect to be out of commission? The last time we tried, where we made it ten days; I felt better than my wife did at the end and she couldn't handle it anymore and she state that it wasn't better at all! I don't understand how that is possible... I have heard several different opinions like three days, seven days, ten days, two weeks, a month, two months! We even called an addiction help hotline in Colorado and they told me ten days. Medically, there has to be a time frame... Right? Which day is the worst? Is it the third day like everyone says? What day of the week should I stop to be OK by the following Monday? Is a lot of this in your head and the person actually sikes them self out and makes it worse on themselves? Oh my god I feel so helpless and I am sorry for all the questions! I am just freaking out because of all of the failed attempts... I have always considered myself a strong minded and willed person. I have even done other drugs in the past and let them get a out of control but was always able to quit on my own. But these WDS are unlike anything I have ever been through and wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy! Should I quit on a Wednesday so that by the time the worst of it hits, it will be the weekend? Thanks again for everything guys, you are great!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2010, 11:54 PM

Reduce, Reduce and reduce over time.
    It would be useful if you can switch to 10 mg oral even initially. You can always take 8 tabs for 80 mg, but don't cut or crush them.
    Now start slowly reducing.
    When you get to 10 mg, then try skipping days until you can totally stop.

You'll have to manage withdrawal symptoms the best you can. Who know what they are going to be.

Since your subject to addictve behavior, you have to avoid triggers that cause the behavior. Start thinking about what they might be now.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 15, 2010, 12:08 AM

Just a side note... Benadryl can help with the withdrawals.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2010, 09:23 AM

Opiate dependence was widespread in the US during the mid-to late 1800s. Following the Civil War morphine dependence was epidemic and not just amongst soldiers. Morphine was the wonder drug of the late 1800s, sold over the counter, used to treat minor ailments to severe pain. It was contained in hundreds of the mail order patent medicines, recommended for children (paregoric) and there was scarcely a household without laudunum in their medicine box.

As a result a medical specialty developed, inebriety doctors, that specialized in treating and managing morphine withdrawal. At the base of the treatment was gradual withdrawal, hot baths and sedatives. Some doctors used cold turkey, which involved confinement and restraint, but not many and few used this method on their regular patients. Mostly an institutional (asylum) practice.

The average "addict" seeking assistance from their family doctor (1870-1914) was a middle-aged white female, upper income from rural setting. They were treated with kid gloves by the inebriety doctors. Addiction was a middle class problem, not socially or legally reproved. The only exception being alcohol.

Of course, then as now, the vast majority of people from all walks of life quit entirely on their own.

There are two important lessons here. One your not facing an insurmountable task. It has been done over and over without medical intervention or assistance. It's an uncomfortable process, to say the least, but you can do it on your own. Most people have and still do. Spontaneous recovery, as it's termed in the literature, simply gets little press.

Second, many of the writings dealing with morphine withdrawal by T.D. Crother, Norman Kerr, Joseph Parrish, have been scanned by Google Books and you can word search these old medical texts for information. I would imagine you can find some helpful tips.

You seem to have positive motivation and that is the key element. The information provided on this thread so far is right on target but you are on your own. Best of luck and please return as often as needed.

Final note. As alluded to by KISS above, take adequate time to plan. Be prepared for eventualities and have alternatives available.

Aug 15, 2010, 04:05 PM
    Is there anything I can take to help?
    Here in two days, I won't have access to oxy for at least five days... I do however have kilonipins... will they help me or hurt me? I also have about twenty five dilodids. Will those work to ween down or will they hurt me? I want to quit! Completely! I just have to be able to still function for work and all. Thank you guys so much for all of your advice and kind words! Does anyone know how long it will take to feel better from WDs? Right now I have three 80s and three fortys... any ideas for a pla of action? Thanks again
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2010, 04:37 PM
    Merged
    Quote Originally Posted by rickjames1011 View Post
    here in two days, i wont have access to oxy for at least five days... i do however have kilonipins... will they help me or hurt me? i also have about twenty five dilodids. will those work to ween down or will they hurt me? i want to quit! completely! i just have to be able to still function for work and all. thank you guys so much for all of your advice and kind words! does anyone know how long it will take to feel better from WDs? right now i have three 80s and three fortys... any ideas for a pla of action? thanks again
    Yesterday's advice is still your best choices.

KISS's advice about slow and steady will have the best results.

The doctors advice about having alternative plans in case something goes awry is also right on the mark.

Klonopin,Dilaudid,all that is just adding to the complications.Without proper monitoring you are taking a crapshoot at your chances of recovering,much less the chances of major complications.

I know the feeling all too well.I am in recovery,I remember quite well the need to escape the inevitable.It isn't an easy process even in treatment much less on your own.

Benadryl is still the best suggestion for the withdraws I would recommend as well, it has worked for me many times.

One hour at a time.Take things as slow as you can.

Good luck and don't forget to write back(on this post,please) any time you feel you are in need of support.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2010, 06:20 PM

I got hooked on Oxycodone too. I've had three surgeries, and was taking 40 mg Oxycontin, then 30 mg Roxycodone. At least a dozen a day! I did the Lortabs, Morphine, you name it.

I am clean and sober now, have been for about 19 months. No beer, no pills, nothing. The only thing that saved my life, because I was still in severe pain, was Suboxone. If you can't go to rehab, or you cannot get access to the Suboxone, then I would suggest you doing like KBC mentioned, taper off, slowly.

Withdrawals suck, I know all too well. The night sweats, the nausea, the feeling of not wanting to even get out of bed without a buzz. You are a slave to the substance, literally.

Find a good Naranon meeting in your area:Nar-Anon Home

If not them, go to Alcoholics anonymous. It's the same 12 step program, and you'll get a sponsor. They are free, worldwide, and anonymous.

Just go and check it out.

It will save your lives, and sanity.

Keep coming here, we'll help you through it all. I promise.

It's a good thing that you KNOW that you both have a problem. That's a good start.

But, if I can do it, you can too. I was MUCH worse off than either of you two.

God bless the still suffering alcoholic/addict.
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2010, 06:23 PM
    here in two days, i wont have access to oxy for at least five days... i do however have kilonipins... will they help me or hurt me? i also have about twenty five dilodids. will those work to ween down or will they hurt me? i want to quit! completely! i just have to be able to still function for work and all. thank you guys so much for all of your advice and kind words! does anyone know how long it will take to feel better from WDs? right now i have three 80s and three fortys... any ideas for a pla of action? thanks again
    Rick - Please read carefully the comments of KBC. Intermixing drugs without understanding how they inter-react is very risky business. I certainly agree that adding Dilaudid (I assume) and Klonopin (guessing again) to your systemic mix wouldn't be helpful.

I'm a slow poster so the eminent Mr JMJ got ahead of me unnoticed with more excellent support. There you are in contact with people that have been through it personally and know first hand what they're talkiing about. Much more valuable than my advice, so take heed. They're there for contact when needed. Best of luck
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2010, 04:59 AM
    Thank you everyone for the good advice and kind words again... I have tryed multiple places like this but never have i gotten such warm and helpful responses. we have been trying to taper off but it seems like when we have it in our possesion, it is extremely diificult not to do "just one more" for the night or to go to sleep, etc. I truly believe that I am ready to do this! Now I just have to get my wife in the same mind frame... I think I will take your guys advice and try to find some type of meetings we cango to in the evenings... do they really help? Ok so benedryl, lots of water, lots of rest, warm baths, meetings and determination. Does anyone know how long I can expect to be out of commision? the last time we tryed, where we made it ten days; i felt better than my wife did at the end and she couldnt handle it anymore and she state that it wasnt better at all! I dont understand how that is possible... I have heard several different opinions like three days, seven days, ten days, two weeks, a month, two months! We even called an addiction help hotline in colorado and they told me ten days. medically, there has to be a time frame... Right? Which day is the worst? is it the third day like everyone says? what day of the week should I stop to be ok by the following monday? is alot of this in your head and the person actually sikes them self out and makes it worse on them selves? Oh my god I feel so helpless and I am sorry for all the questions! I am just freaking out because of all of the failed attempts... I have always considered myself a strong minded and willed person. I have even done other drugs in the past and let them get a out of control but was always able to quit on my own. but these WDS are unlike anything I have ever been through and wouldnt wish them on my worst enemy! Should I quit on a wednesday so that by the time the worst of it hits, it will be the weekend? thanks again for everything guys, you are great!
    Rick,,I have merged again these posts,please respond to this post at the bottom of the page,there is an open comment box to respond to the same thread as we are all on.

Posting responses in a different post makes for confusion(which I have added to by merging your latest post to this thread:( )

You should have already quit.

Once you 'decide' to quit, you should stay with that feeling.An addicts worst enemy is themselves.The ability to talk ourselves out of doing the right thing for the next fix, we are pro's at that.(Why stop today when Wednesday looks like it would be a better idea,but do I quit in the AM or PM, aww,PM,there might be a complication if I quit too soon,, )See what I mean.

It is going to take as long as it takes,everyone is different.

My withdraws from drinking and occasional drug use in the mid 80's took 2 1/2 weeks.Later withdraws from certain medications have taken anywhere from a few days to a month.. each person and each person's Constitution are different.

Try not to focus on the 'when will it be over' and simply be in the here and now.I know that doesn't sound enticing,but reality needs to stay your focus,not projected thinking.

Life on life's terms.You were using,you want to stop,you know it will not be easy,plan for these eventualities, but plan no further.

Our best laid plans are destined to failure,Meaning,as an addict I can and would design ways to set myself up,make plans which I had expectations of,plans which might seem achievable at that time,and in the end, I either tried to achieve more than I was capable of and set myself up for a reason to use again... or didn't allow for any alternate actions, my plans were too inflexible,too strait forward,too stringent.I couldn't succeed and again,I could use again because I failed.

You should be on simple plans, hour by hour.Day to day.Let the future bring what it will.

Aug 16, 2010, 07:48 PM
    Oh, I didn't know... this is much easier, sorry about that. I am afraid! I am afraid that I won't be able to handle it again! I am afraid we will fail again! I am afraid that I will lose my good job that I just got! I know the best way to do it is to just do it! I am finishing up with what I have and am going to stop then. However, I am trying to do what KISS said and reduce over time... is that not good advice? Should I throw what I have away? Excuses, excuses right? I'm scared man! I don't know how to start. The last time we failed, it broke our determination in a way and I don't want to feel that way again! OK, starting tomorrow, we will stop! What do I do about work though? I just started this job last Monday... I can't exactly take time off, if you know what I mean. I guess I will just have to rough it out and play like I have the flu or something

Aug 16, 2010, 07:48 PM
    Oh, I didn't know... this is much easier, sorry about that. I am afraid! I am afraid that I won't be able to handle it again! I am afraid we will fail again! I am afraid that I will lose my good job that I just got! I know the best way to do it is to just do it! I am finishing up with what I have and am going to stop then. However, I am trying to do what KISS said and reduce over time... is that not good advice? Should I throw what I have away? Excuses, excuses right? I'm scared man! I don't know how to start. The last time we failed, it broke our determination in a way and I don't want to feel that way again! OK, starting tomorrow, we will stop! What do I do about work though? I just started this job last Monday... I can't exactly take time off, if you know what I mean. I guess I will just have to rough it out and play like I have the flu or something
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2010, 08:04 PM
    oh, i didnt know... this is much easier, sorry about that. i am afraid! i am afraid that i wont be able to handle it again! i am afraid we will fail again! i am afraid that i will lose my good job that i just got! i know the best way to do it is to just do it! i am finishing up with what i have and am going to stop then. however, i am trying to do what KISS said and reduce over time... is that not good advice? should i throw what i have away? excuses, excuses right? im scared man! i dont know how to start. the last time we failed, it broke our determination in a way and I dont want to feel that way again! ok, starting tomorrow, we will stop! what do i do about work though? i just started this job last monday... i can't exactly take time off, if you know what i mean. i guess i will just have to rough it out and play like i have the flu or something
    Rick.I'm not a Doctor or an expert but you will be in my prayers and you can ask God to help you through this. Blessings to you. These people who have responded to your post are wonderful. Please take their advice.
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2010, 08:12 PM

Rick, I've gone through withdrawals more times than I'd like to admit. I've worked through them too. And I've taken much higher doses than you both put together.

If I can do it, then so can you two.

This is hour by hour, day by day.

Be tough, and stick to your plan.

Be mad at the drugs for making you it's slave. Know that perserverance prevails.

Keep coming back here for support.

God bless you both.
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2010, 09:10 PM

Rick,

I should have mentioned this earlier but the idea of quitting together seems problematic. I wonder if one of you shouldn't be able to support the other. Get one person through and then the other. Maybe the guys that have actually lived through this can ring-in. I'll defer to their judgment as this is a new one on me, synchronized withdrawal.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2010, 09:29 PM

I'm actually wondering if there should by some psychological follow-up when/if this sees through?

You have to do something for prevention and psycological counseling together may help.

In the meantime try to find another behavior that isn't as damaging that each might enjoy. A hobby.

Aug 17, 2010, 05:14 PM

OK, day number one... feeling bad! We had some to get us going in the morning but ran out half way through the day. Just got off work and all I can think about is wanting to do more! Can I get it? Should I call? Will he front to me? You know, the basics! Anybody there?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 17, 2010, 05:22 PM
    ok, day number one... feeling bad! we had some to get us going in the morning but ran out half way through the day. just got off work and all i can think about is wanting to do more! can i get it? should i call? will he front to me? you know, the basics! anybody there?
    Take a benadryl. Not only will it help with the witdrawal feelings, but you will sleep through this period of wanting more.
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2010, 06:30 PM
    ok, day number one... feeling bad! we had some to get us going in the morning but ran out half way through the day. just got off work and all i can think about is wanting to do more! can i get it? should i call? will he front to me? you know, the basics! anybody there?
    Stop trying to postpone the inevitable. Be tough. Do like J_9 says, take a Benadryl.

Stick with your plan.

Aug 23, 2010, 06:17 PM
    I am such an idiot! I don't want to waste your time everyone but this is difficult! Obviously, it didn't last long and I am using again... my wife has stopped almost completely and I worked it so that I have 20mg pills which I am going to do orally and hopefully they will be easier to stop that way. I am very discouraged and I feel like I let myself down and all of you that took time out of your day to help us. I do however have a plan now and I have every intension on following through this time. God I hate this! I hate being controlled by this drug and I can't believe this is running my life! I have always been in control! Any thoughts anyone? Besides I'm a idiot?

Aug 23, 2010, 06:17 PM
    I am such an idiot! I don't want to waste your time everyone but this is difficult! Obviously, it didn't last long and I am using again... my wife has stopped almost completely and I worked it so that I have 20mg pills which I am going to do orally and hopefully they will be easier to stop that way. I am very discouraged and I feel like I let myself down and all of you that took time out of your day to help us. I do however have a plan now and I have every intension on following through this time. God I hate this! I hate being controlled by this drug and I can't believe this is running my life! I have always been in control! Any thoughts anyone? Besides I'm a idiot?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What happens when you quit oxycontin cold turkey [ 8 Answers ]

I am muscling oxy for pain relief. I have tolerated this drug and want to get off it. I cannot tell my dr, he will have a fit. I never had a problem tapering off other opiates but this one is so scary and the night is hell. I find cold packs help. I have clonazepam and the dr also put me on...

Oxycontin? [ 5 Answers ]

Someone told me that this pill was an 80 mg oxycontin,problem is... it was pink an ha a G on he opof the pill and below the g was 164... I know what 80mg oxycontins looklike... can anyone tell me what this guy was trying to give me?? Thanks a lot!!

What happens when you quit oxycontin cold turkey [ 4 Answers ]

I was on 160mg oxy for pain. I am muscling it. If I told my dr he would have a fit. He gave me Tramadol for break through pain. The nighttime scares me, I get weird pain. Cold packs help my feet but I am so frightened. I cannot tell anyone. Can anyone give me any advice. I have Clonazepam. ...

Is stopping meth cold turkey the right thing to do? [ 3 Answers ]

Does stopping meth cold turkey make it harder than it has to be or would it be better to ween off. Im trying to do this without rehab. That just isn't an option right now, so my Im doing it just with the support of my husband but Im going crazy. Im on the 4th day and it is getting worse not better,...

Cold turkey [ 6 Answers ]

Oh hello again, for those of you who have seen my other posts! Ok so, it's finally happening... My semester finally ended and I am home. The last three weeks of school I hardly had any work to do and wanted to live it up with my friends. Therefore I was drinking every night and smoking pot and...

View more questions Search