Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xoxo92 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2010, 03:05 PM
    How to afford an acting career..
    I really want to become an actress. Well, I've already been in a movie and I did some print work. I also used to act in a musical etc. but my parents (especially my mom) think that an acting career is nonsense. They want me to study economics or so. My sister studied in Princeton and they want me to pursue something 'real'. They don't think that I could become a good actress because I'm from a really small town in Austria (Europe). There's a talent competition called IMTA and I really want to attend but it is amazingly expensive. I don't know how I should pay for that. I could work for A LONG TIME but I still go to school and there's not enough time for that. All the good acting-jobs are in the United States. Does anybody know what I should do? :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 14, 2010, 03:27 PM

They make movies all over the world, like most you find a job, go to school, and go on auditions when you can. The majority spend their life finding small roles that may give them a living, out of the 10's of thousands of people only a few get those special breaks that make them stars.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2010, 04:07 PM

Always wise to have a career choice to fall back on. As Fr_Chuck said, very few actors become famous, some get enough work to make a decent living, many more find it doesn't work out.

Since you are in a small town, are they any theatre houses that put on performances in surrounding cities? Does your school have a drama department that you could get involved in?

If you couldn't act, what other career would you want to do? Maybe pursue that but still audition when you see local plays coming up. See if there are any acting classes near by. Contact any universities near you and find out what sort of drama/acting courses they might offer. Some might hold summer workshops open to anyone.
    Do some research and find out if there are any trade magazines you could get now and then to read about upcoming commericials or movies being made. Some will print open calls for actors to come in and audition, some may just need you to send in a photo to be considered.

Hold onto your dream, but also plan for the "just in case". You already have some experience and when you are a bit older, you will be better able to look even further than the area around you for possibilites of additional training and work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to get an acting career started [ 7 Answers ]

:)hey guys I'm 19 and I am a girl who wants to know of how to get an acting career started the right way... :):):)

Can we afford this? [ 12 Answers ]

Increase taxes and make up new taxes Tax on the wealthy Tax if you live in house more than 24 hundred square feet Double income tax Social security tax Tax retirement Higher tax on inheritance tax Medical tax Global poverty tax

Singing or Acting career wanted [ 4 Answers ]

I REALLY want to get into singing or acting... Preferably singing... My friends and I think I have a GREAT voice... I just want to get it out there... How do I get a singing career with no experience? (Besides singing at home... )

Acting Career [ 3 Answers ]

I need an answer in how can I be an actress with no experience and I don´t have time for classes.

I can't afford it,what can I do. [ 4 Answers ]

Recently I was engaged but the guy left me cold and dry .I am now stuck with a house payment that I can not afford ,I can only afford half of it and the rest goes to my bills.I have lived in this house for about 5 months now and April was the first month that it has not been paid yet.I don't want...

View more questions Search