Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dathandagostino Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2006, 02:57 AM
    110v ceiling fan to 220v
    I live in Italy and we run on 220v here. I have purchased a ceiling fan in the USA (110v) as I can't find nice ceiling fans in Italy. How can I rewire a 110v motor to run on our 220v electrical current?

What is the best way to deal with this?

Thank you,

Dathan
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2006, 03:30 AM
    You can try a local electric motor shop to see if they can rewind the motor, which may cost more than the fan, and I do not believe that doing this yourself is possible or practical.

Or a better more simple solution would be if you can get a small step down transformer that will change the volts from 220 v to 110 v. You will need to know the amp draw or horsepower of the motor and size the transformer 125% larger.

Fan motors don't draw much current, my guess is an amp or 2, so the transformer does not need to be very large, maybe 300 or 500 Volt Amps( AC Watts).

Several manufacturers make fans in both voltages for the many other countries that use 220 volts, is it possible to get your style fan in 220 volts?

What brand did you buy in the US, and transport all the way to Italy? Please don't say Hampton Bay or Harbor Breeze. If so, throw it out, give it away, use it as a paper weight, and get on the net and find a manufacturer that makes 220v.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2006, 12:55 PM
    LOL TK has you covered with a very correct answer!

If you must use a 110v fan a step-down transformer will be the best option. Or just hook it up as is and it will go REALLY REALLY fast. (Not a serious answer).

Most quality fans are available in 220v models, as well as several companies (SMC) offer cheap fans specifically for Europe. You should have no problem finding a 220v fan.

And TK is ON POINT with Hampton/Harbor. You're better off putting it directly in the trash it will save all the steps in between.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2006, 02:19 PM
    Yes I tell people that I can make something work really fast and well, for only a short period by using the wrong voltage.

No really this is only a trade joke, so don't ever connect the wrong high voltage to any device.
    jgj6331 Posts: 153, Reputation: 19

Dec 22, 2006, 08:46 AM
    Dathan,

Please note that although you bought your fan in the US, it was likely assembled by malnourished child laborers in some 3rd world country. So, check the label carefully for the origin of manufacture and curse them - not the US - when it fails to work. We already get all the bad press we need.:rolleyes:
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2006, 11:51 AM
    To my knowledge there is only one fan yet being made in the US, from predominantly US parts:

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/a...iling-fans.php

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

220v to 110v [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing an electric stovetop. The one I removed had 4 wires.. red, black,white, and bare copper. The new one has 3.. black, red, and bare.. from what I have read here, the old system is a 220v/110v system... I assume that I hook up red to red, black to black, bare to ground. How...

What is better to use 110V or 220V? [ 2 Answers ]

What is better to use 110V or 220V?

220v Ceiling fan/light combo for europe [ 2 Answers ]

I need a 220v ceiling fan/light combo fixture to take to Europe. ( hard to find where I go ) Any suggestions where to buy one in the States? :cool:

220v to 110v [ 2 Answers ]

How do I wire a 220v circuit to accept a 110v plug and play spa?

Is 220V better than 110V? [ 5 Answers ]

My pool pump is running at 110V. I noticed that I can change the wiring position and run it at 220V. Someone at work mentioned that 220V is more efficient. Would I see a savings on the electric bill? Is this true? The wires now are 12 gauge. Could I just change the breaker and the...

View more questions Search