Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lochlorien Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2010, 05:15 AM
    My dog won't sleep through the night
    I have a ten year old Irish Setter who is quite hyperactive. He lives with his sister and niece so is not alone, but he will not sleep right through the night. He regularly wakes up around 3am and will trot round the garden. (I always make sure he has a pee before they go to bed.) Then around 4:15am he starts barking again wanting his breakfast. I've tried leaving him to bark but am worried in case the neighbours can hear him, but it doesn't seem to work anyway. As we have to be up at 6am for work this is not funny as we are getting little or no sleep.
    We've tried changing his diet, valerian etc. The vet says it's just him.
    Anyone any ideas?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Aug 14, 2010, 06:30 AM

Have you ever tried crating him with a blanket over the crate?
    Does he have full roam of the house while you guys are in bed? I am assuming he has a doggy door?
    lochlorien Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2010, 02:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    Have you ever tried crating him with a blanket over the crate?
    Does he have full roam of the house while you guys are in bed? I am assuming he has a doggy door?
    He sleeps in the dog room with his sister and niece. We could try that as there is room in there. Will get one out tomorrow and give it a go. Thanks
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Aug 14, 2010, 03:38 PM

No problem! Keep us posted, if this doesn't work, we will keep plugging out the ideas! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dog won't sleep through the night anymore [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 17 month old Malti-poo since he was 11 weeks old. He has been crate trained since the beginning and adapted extremely well to the crate. He always sleeps in his crate at night. However, lately he wakes us up repeatedly throughout the night by yelping and whimpering. The 1st night, we...

What do I do if my dog won't sleep through the night [ 1 Answers ]

We have a 3 year old Border Terrier that we have had since he was 12 weeks old. He was really easy to train. This spring he quit sleeping through the night. He might, but when he doesn't, he'll wake anywhere from 1-3 times between the hours of 1-5 a.m. He doesn't seem to need to do his business,...

My dog will not sleep at night [ 19 Answers ]

Help haven't slept in almost 2 month. We have had ozzy (bulldog) for 5 months now. 3 months he was great slept had a great routine. Left him with my brither n law for 4 days . Came back to a crazy dog at night... what to do? Went to vet, thaey are at a lose... help me

My Dog won't sleep through the night! [ 2 Answers ]

We have 2 dogs. Our little female Papillon sleeps though the night great! We have crates in our room for the 2 dogs. Our little male Pap won't sleep through the night. They are both treated the same during the day, both go to bed at the same time. But the male gets up every 1 1/2 hours to 3...

5yo Dog won't sleep through the night [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 5yo Westie/ Shi Tzu Mix. She slept in her crate until about 6 months ago. Since then she comes into my bed at night time. The problem is that she gets out of bed anywhere from 1-10 times during the night. She doesn't have to go potty, she gennerly wants to go into the living room or just...

View more questions Search