Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KateyLM Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2006, 11:14 PM
    Parental Rights Waiver
    I have a 6 month old beautiful little baby boy. The father has not been involved by choice. He has some "issues" and agreed that it was in my son's best interest if he was not part of his life. We both wish for him to sign over all parental rights. This would give me the right to get married in the future and have my husband adopt my son or whatever the case may be. I am in California and not sure how to do this. I do not care about the child support. He has no job and no money and we are staying with my family and doing well. I just want it all done legally to prevent future complications. Thank you.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2006, 05:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KateyLM
    I have a 6 month old beautiful little baby boy. He has no job and no money...... Thank you.
    Hello Katey:

Child support is not YOURS to turn down. It's your beautiful baby boys' money. Yes, the father has no job - NOW. 20 years is a loooong time. Just consider that at even a minimum $100 per month, over the next 20 years, that's over $20,000. Do you have $20 grand that you can give away?? What could you buy for your "beautiful baby boy", with $20 large??

Go see a family lawyer.

excon
    jrussole Posts: 163, Reputation: 12
    -

Dec 21, 2006, 05:10 AM
    Katey, I can understand why you want to end this relationship once and for all. And if you will not need the financial and or emotional support in the future for your child than accepting his declination of parental rights is fine. But like excon said, a lot can change in 2,4, 10, 20 years. If you think this guy is going to be a deadbeat anyway, then maybe it is something to consider. This way you are free from his presence in you and your child's life all together. It is my opinion that it is not practical to eliminate parental rights of a parent. Especially if someday that child wants to know who her/his biological father is/was. Which will probably be the case. It is for many of us, anyway. I still want to know who my first father was/is. And I am in my forties. Whatever the facts. Whatever the circumstances. I feel I have had a right to know who he was or at least get my medical information from him. What he has given me genetically, that is.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 21, 2006, 06:43 AM
    You can not do this at this time, if and when you are married, and when that new spouse wants to adopt, then he can sign over all his rights and obligations.

But almost never does a court take away his obligation to pay child support, since the state has a interest in it, The state wants the ability to go after the father if the child ever needs public welfare
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2006, 09:32 PM
    As far as the legality goes, there's nothing you need to do now. If you eventually get married, just have your husband adopt the chid at that time. Keep in mind that if you ever apply for public assistance on your child's behalf you'll be required to file for child support against the father.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

As an aunt do I rights to sue DCFS for vistation rights to see my niece? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi My name is Rosalyn. I have a 12 year old niece that I just adore. Unfortunately she is in foster care with Illinois's DCFS going on 6 years. My sister, my nieces mom is mentally Ill. Her father was in jail for 10 years (my niece was 2 when he was sentence). Now that he is out jail and a witness...

Does he have rights to [ 3 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend and I have a child together and he is on felony probation for pills and he was shooting crystal meth when my daughter was first born and I don't know if he is still using it but he does have some weird marks on his arms and I know for a fact he still smokes marijuana. I told him to...

Occupant Rights [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I'm an occupant listed on the lease. My uncle is the primary tenant, however he Travels frequently and is rarely home. Is there a specific time limit that the primary tenant has to occupy the premises? Can the occupant be evicted ?

MN Trampoline Liability Waiver Form [ 2 Answers ]

Hello - I purchased a 14' trampoline for my daughter and of course all the neighbor children want to go on it. Can you tell me where I can get a Liability Waiver Form for the trampoline for Minnesota? Thank you

View more questions Search