Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Christya Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2010, 09:17 AM
    What do I do about a bank levy that was made for a judgement made against me?
    I have a large judgement made against me. I just found out that a levy was made on my bank account. I need to know what happens now. Is it possible to get any of that money back? How do I pay my bills now? Can it happen again? I have to assume that they will try to get all of my money all of the time... is there a time limit for this and/or garnishing my wages? I live in New Jersey.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 13, 2010, 09:25 AM

I'm wondering what you thought would happen when the judgment was awarded? Yes they will try try to recover what you owe them. A judgment is generally good for 10 years and can be renewed for, at least, another 10. So they can continue to file writs of execution as your bank balance grows.

You need to try and reach a settlement with them.

Aug 13, 2010, 09:27 AM

So besides offering a payment plan, how do I stop this from happening? I understand I have to pay, but how am I supposed to pay bills/ living expenses?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 13, 2010, 09:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Christya View Post
    so besides offering a payment plan, how do i stop this from happening? i understand i haev to pay, but how am i supposed to pay bills/ living expenses?
    Close your bank account and pay your expenses in cash.

Bankruptcy also is an option.

Aug 13, 2010, 10:02 AM
    Yes, but won't they be able to find out my employer and see my w2's at the end of the year? If so, then they will see that I earned money...

Aug 13, 2010, 10:13 AM

If they find your employer, they will garnish your salary. It doesn't matter whether they know you earned money, then need to know that the money is still in your possession and where it is. If you don't deposit your paycheck and pay cash for everything, it doesn't matter if they know how much you actually earned.

Aug 13, 2010, 10:18 AM

So your advice would be to keep everything out of the bank? I'm sure in time they will find my employer and from what I understand, in nj, they can only take 10% of your gross wages... so unless I can start a payment plan... I should allow this and keep all of my other money for expenses in cash?

Aug 13, 2010, 10:21 AM

Is there a way to get any of that money back from the levy? I have bills to pay!

Aug 13, 2010, 10:25 AM

Sorry, but if the judgment is valid and you were aware of it, you should have known this might happen. You have had plenty of chances to reach an agreement to pay this bill.

Aug 13, 2010, 10:29 AM

OK. I understand this, but there is nothing I can do to further prevent it? It just seems that it wouldn't be legal to do this if I am left with nothing to cover my daily expenses. I am trying to reach a payment plan, but until then... what do I do?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2010, 10:32 AM

Hello C:

That money is gone. You aren't going to get it back. It's perfectly legal for them to have taken it. Not NICE - but legal. I don't know what you can do without money. Get an advance from you boss. They probably won't agree to a payment plan either.

excon

Aug 13, 2010, 11:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello C:

That money is gone. You aren't going to get it back. It's perfectly legal for them to have taken it. Not NICE - but legal. I dunno what you can do without money. Get an advance from you boss. They probably won't agree to a payment plan either.

excon
    What can I do to stop it from happening again? And what do I do about daily living expenses?

Aug 13, 2010, 11:13 AM
    what can i do to stop it from happening again?
    We've answered that. In additional to what you have been advised, pay the bll in full.

and what do i do about daily living expenses?
    That we can't answer. You were given ample opportunity to deal with this. Now you have to live with the consequences.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What can I do after a credit card judgement is made? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been served with papers that have been signed by a judge for a judgement on a credit card account. What are my options?

WHo can levy my social security disabily benefits I was made to sign a paper [ 2 Answers ]

Who can levy my social security disabilaty? I was told I had to sign a paper to pay money back to the Ramsey CO. WELFARE office in order for me to receive benefits. I have worked my whole life and I needed some help I don't think this is Fare. HELP!:(

Collection agency still calling after payment agreement made & pymts being made [ 4 Answers ]

I have an outstanding bill with Hydro one in Ontario of 800.00 owing since 2003, with interest the bill has now doubled to 1600.00, I was unable to make payments on this bill due to financial reasons, but this past month & half I have been paying 100.00 /month to the collection agency, they are...

Judgement decision made against me [ 1 Answers ]

Hi There, I'm monitoring my credit after been a victim of credit fraud. Recently, I saw that a judgement was made against me. The debt is for a credit card Providian wich was sold to a collector Erin Capital. The credit card debt was deleted from my credit because they could not proof it was...

Can a judgement be made without my knowledge? [ 1 Answers ]

I have an Ex who agreed to pay off a credit card that he mostly used if I handled everything else. Well he didn't and now 6 years later I get a threating letter to sue me by someone who bought the account. I tried to find out the original account info. They did not have it. I contacted the original...

View more questions Search