Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spartans84 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2010, 07:36 AM
    My mom won't let me quit soccer
    I'm a sophomore in high school and I'm on the varsity soccer team. I've lost my passion for soccer and its high stress to play because we practice 6 hours everyday during the summer until October. I just want out but my mom says working out at the local gym isn't enough to replace soccer. She says if I want to quit then I have to sell my xbox and play tennis and volunteer at least once a week which I DEFINITELY DON'T WANT TO DO. What should I do to convince her to let me quit without selling my xbox or playing tennis? She says I'm going down a destructive path if I quit which makes absolutely no sense to me... I'm fine with volunteering and I WILL workout every other day AT LEAST... I'm also going to do track in the Spring.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2010, 07:40 AM

May I answer a question with a question?

Why is your mother so hung up on you participating in varsity soccer?

Aug 13, 2010, 07:44 AM

I honestly have no idea...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2010, 07:47 AM

In my case it was music - I was somewhat talented but my parents pushed and pushed. I also never knew why.

It sounds like you will be "punished" if you quit and that makes no sense - at least to me. Have you asked her or is that pointless?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 13, 2010, 07:47 AM

I agree with your mom that once you committed to the season you need to follow through. If you want to quit after the season is over, that's another thing and you should be allowed to.

Sounds to me, however, that mom thinks you spend too much time with your Xbox and not enough time exercising your body.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2010, 07:49 AM

A sophomore on the Varsity team you must be very good. Maybe she thinks by quitting soccer you are throwing away a chance at a scholarship for college?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 13, 2010, 07:53 AM

I'm thinking your mom doesn't want you to get into the habit of starting something and then switching to something else, so that becomes a pattern in your life -- switching jobs, spouses, etc. "If I don't like it, I can just up and quit. No big deal." How long have you been playing soccer? How long have you been varsity?

Aug 13, 2010, 07:55 AM

I've asked her why she wants me to play so bad and she doesn't give a very clear answer.

I did not commit to the season because it has not started yet we have just done pre season training and I haven't paid anything yet. As far as not exercising enough...
    Maybe that's her reason but if it is it doesn't make much sense because I am in very good shape.

Aug 13, 2010, 07:59 AM

Both my parents agree I probably won't be playing soccer in college because if I do something in the engineering field, (which I'm considering) I simply won't have enough time for both.

I don't join and quit, I have been playing soccer since Kindergarten and have just recently lost my passion and joy for the game

I was playing Varsity since mid season last year.

Aug 13, 2010, 08:00 AM

Thanks for all the help everyone :)
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2010, 08:33 AM

Hi spartan,
    I think your desire to quit is perfectly reasonable (and I am a parent of a son your age). I also think it sounds like she is obsessing over the xbox. I would offer her a compromise. Quit soccer, abstain from the xbox for the first month of the school year, and then limited hours of xbox after that. What can you live with? 6 hours per week? Demonstrate you are not addicted to the xbox and "have a life." I'm guessing she thinks that all the time devoted to soccer will end up with you in front of the xbox.

The other thing to consider is that if you have been doing soccer since kindergarten, it means she's invested HUGE amounts of time into getting you to games and practice, providing snacks to the team, and so on. In other words, she's personally invested a lot too.

This might be a diplomatic time to tell her all the ways you've benefited from her support and to thank her for doing that. It may be that she's feeling like you are saying that her effort was all a waste. I don't think that's what you are saying but from her perspective that may be how it feels. Have a heart to heart and make it explicit that you've got a lot out of soccer and appreciate her support all these years, but you are ready to pursue other things now.

So I would do both these things. Above all, take a moderate and relaxed approach, and make sure she has an opportunity to save face, so she can back down gracefully. (Some people take a position and don't know how to change their minds without feeling like they "lost.")

Good luck!
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2010, 09:38 AM

I understand how you feel. Basketball was my sport then my Junior year I just lost the passion really to play anymore. It would be better for the team if you did stop instead of making the team then doing a half @$$ job playing. Good Luck with your Mom Maybe if you explained that you would be hurting the team if you did play she might come around.

Aug 13, 2010, 10:01 AM

Thanks for all the help guys! I think she is going to let me quit now :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Panasonic TV with dvd player motor won't quit running [ 0 Answers ]

I have a flat screen panasonic TV with dvd player and the dvd player always runs when you turn it on but usually goes off. Now the motor runs the entire time and won't shut off.

Fan won't quit running [ 1 Answers ]

On old coleman electric mobile home furnace model 6806,the fan won't stop cycling on and off unless you turn off the power,no matter what position the thermostat is in.

Friend won't quit interfering with girlfriend [ 7 Answers ]

I have a girfriend named alex and a best friend named matt(who also has a girlfriend). We are all 13. Matt keeps interfering with my girlfriend making make out sines and kissing noises when I'm with her. He won't stop and it is annoying. Just last night he asked my girlfriend if she would kiss...

Soccer Mom [ 1 Answers ]

At one point during a game, the coach called one of his 7-year- Old soccer players aside and asked, "Do you understand what cooperation is? What a team is?" The little boy nodded in the affirmative. "Do you understand that what matters is whether we win or lose together as a team?" ...

I'm 14 and my mom won't let me date [ 6 Answers ]

I know my parents have there own rules, but seriously I'm 14 and I've been going out with my boyfriend for 9 nine months,& we're really not ready for sex, I want to go out with him without my parents right there in my face. Ugh does anybody have my problems, and do any parents agree with my parents...

View more questions Search