Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    itgirlragdoll Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2006, 06:42 PM
    Period and the pill
    :confused: this is probably a foolish question, but I have no one to ask, and my male doctor just makes silly jokes all the time. So, when I'm taking birth control and it's the 7 day period where I don't take a pill and get my period, can I have sex and not get pregnant, or does birth control protect from pregnancy then as well?
    I know it's silly, but I'd really like to know. Thanks
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 21, 2006, 08:40 AM
    You should not be having sex during those seven days, this is when you are unprotected.

And no, it is not a foolish question, the only foolish question is the one not asked!!

I am glad you asked rather than finding out you got pregnant because you did not ask. So, during those seven days please abstain from sex.
    melody666 Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Dec 23, 2006, 09:51 AM
    YES U CAN HAVE SEX hunni don't worry the pill frezes the ovarys from releasing an egg full stop so you can have sex I'm on the pill, and I asked the same question and this is what the nurse said to me so don't worry x x x good luck
    Expert

Dec 23, 2006, 09:54 AM
    That is really interesting Melody, since ovulation and no conception causes a period. During the "free" week off the pill you are not protected, in general.

It may differ for eachi individual pill, as there are MANY, and that may be the case for your particular pill. But as a GENERAL rule, you can get pregnant the week you are off the pill.

Since we do now know this girl's medical history or which pill she is on,we have to answer in general terms!!
    Expert

Dec 23, 2006, 10:46 AM
    Okay, let me set this straight.

The pill "freezes" your ovaries from releasing an egg while you are ON the pill. The week that you are off you are considered unprotected.

There are hundereds of birth control methods out there and each one is different, just as each one of us women is different. Each pill affects each woman a slightly different way.

In no way can we say for sure that you can have sex during your "off" week and not get pregnant. That is just dangerous advice. Therefore we cannot generalize when giving an answer to a question such as this.

I, for one, was on the pill and took it religiously every day at the same time every day, and I have 2 sons currently in the military to prove that the pill is not 100% effective.

Itgirlragdoll, your question was not in the least foolish. What is foolish is the doctor who jokes around instead of answering a very important question such as yours.

You were very right in asking for advice here since your doctor would not give it to you. I hope I have helped answer your question and if you have any more, please do not hesitate to ask.
    leannet4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2006, 11:38 AM
    [QUOTE=J_9]You should not be having sex during those seven days, this is when you are unprotected.

This is just plain wrong. I urge anyone reading this thread to take advantage of the many credible sources of information on the web.

J_9, you should not represent yourself as a medical expert. I hope everyone can see through your arrogance as easily as I can.

Read J_9's introduction... she is just a nursing student who admits "the majority of my current knowledge was learned on my own"
    Expert

Dec 31, 2006, 11:44 AM
    Yep, you are right Leannet4, I am a Nursing Student, everyone here knows that. If I were trying to hide it I would not have the link to my info in my signature. See the little blue word "here" in my signature? That is a link to my qualifications. If I did not feel qualified I would not have made it accessible to everyone.

I have 20+ combined years of expereince in the medical and medical/legal fields. I am not mosrepresenting myself, I had to prove to the Administration of this site that I was considered expert material. There were certain criteria I had to provide in order to be give the title of expert.

Leannet4, please feel free to show me where I am wrong. If I am I have no problem retracting my statements. This was only your first post here, so I do not understand where you got your information, other than this particular thread.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pill [ 2 Answers ]

What is a oblong blue pill with Tyc 365 on it?

What kind of pill is this? [ 1 Answers ]

The pill is white with M366 imprinted on it and it is a oval-squared shape L

The Pill [ 1 Answers ]

The Birth cotrol pill "yasmine" what are the side effects?

Painful period pain while on the pill [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there. I have just ended my first month's packet of the contraceptive pill and am currently on the one week break. For the first few days nothing really happened but then yesterday I got my "period". Since then I have had really really painful period pain and also I've been bleeding a lot more...

Have anyone used speedwhite pill? [ 7 Answers ]

Have u or some one used speedwhit pills?. and did it work? Please let me know Thanks! ;)

View more questions Search