Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ksmckeehan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2010, 01:35 PM
    African violets
    I am house sitting african violets for a friend. I brought them home and left them in the car in the hot sun for 5 hours... forget about them. The flowers look dead and leaves are wilted. What do I do to revive them... she will be back in a month and I want them to be pretty again.
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Aug 12, 2010, 02:11 PM
    Hi! Ksmckeehan, welcome to AMHD :)

What do I do to revive them?
    I hate to be the barer of bad news, but At this point probably nothing.

You can try placing them on a window sill with indirect sunlight, keep the soil damp not wet, and a very light misting of the leaves twice a week. No fertilizer.

After the amount of stress they endured they will not look as good as when your friend gave them to you for safe keeping, if they survive at all.

High temperatures and dry soil
    Plants are very stressed; water carefully; reduce temperatures
    From the AVSA Society diagnostics page:http://www.avsa.org/Diagonosis.htm

I would be ready to offer to replace them, I hope your friend does not have any sentimental value attached to these violet's, such as a centerpiece at her wedding.

ufl.edu - African Violets
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2010, 02:39 PM

Hi...
    Give them a little time they may pick up.

I have had a few of these plants and they are just lovely.

Just a few tips that may help: allow your plant to dry out in between waterings.
    Try and have a watering can standing for at least 8 hours before you use the water, the plant doesn't like the chemicals found in tap water.

Water from the base ( not absolutely essential but better )
    African violets are prone to rot, by watering from the base it stops the leaves from standing in water, also if you get water on the flowers it will show as a dead spot.

Use a slightly damp cloth to gently wipe the leaves at least once a month,african violets have tons of fuzzy little hairs on the leaves which attract dust and other pollutents,which could suffocate the plant, by wiping the leaves it allows the plant to breath, promoting more growth.

If all else fails, perhaps you could give your african violet a boost, buy some fertilizer sticks or miricle grow that's sold specifically for the African Violet.

I wish you luck, please come back and let us know the outcome.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Non-chemical method of removing dense cover of lawn violets? [ 1 Answers ]

Any ideas? I was thinking a thick mulch smother left on the area for a month or so, then start over with new lawn planting. I thought rototilling would just divide the roots that would spring up again later. I don't want to use chemicals. The infested area is app. 300 sq. ft. and almost 100%...

African Pygmies [ 4 Answers ]

I need information on African Pygmies. Please help!

Skin lightner for African/African American/Black people? [ 46 Answers ]

Ok I am fairly new on this site and I am having a hard time figuring out what race is everyone. I am not trying to racist or anything. What works on other races doesn't work on black people and vice versa... With that being said... Hi, Im Amina. I was a mid brown color. Before going to college...

African history [ 1 Answers ]

HELLo all, I was wondering what the word "Kansi" means. It normally used in the phrase, "from 'kansi' morning to 'kansi' evening". I believe that the spelling is correct but I am not sure.

Roses are red violets are blue... [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know if you can cover up red ink with blue and turn blue inked into dark red? Tattoo question

View more questions Search