Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Noelle21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2010, 06:29 AM
    Hippa laws
    It is breaking any HIPPA laws if a office staff person attends a treament team meeting when we are discussing private medical information for a client?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 12, 2010, 07:08 AM

As long as you don't pass on any information you heard in the meeting it is not a HIPAA violation.

Also, please note that it is HIPAA not HIPPA
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 12, 2010, 07:10 AM

If there is a reason the staffer needs to be there and does not discuss anything learned with anyone not authorized, its fine.

You might want to have the staff person sent for HIPAA training so they understand their responsibilities.
    bleusong52 Posts: 239, Reputation: 46

Aug 17, 2010, 03:58 PM

Where I work we have monthly staff meetings and there is usually an office staff person there. Yes, clients do get discussed. For example, yesterday we were auditing care plans. The office staff person was the one who gathers all the data and prepars billing.

Everyone in our workplace has been through HIPAA training when first hired and then annually. I don't think a health care facility can afford not to train everyone in it's facility.

Now if you were someplace and heard this person talk to another about a patient or client - yes, that is a violation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa laws regarding addressing patients [ 8 Answers ]

I work in a doctor's office. Under hippa Law, do we address patients by their first or last names?

Hippa privacy act laws [ 1 Answers ]

What type of attorney would I need to defend my privacy under hippa privacy act laws?:confused:

Hippa laws [ 4 Answers ]

Is it a violation of hippa if a switchboard operator tells a customer that a manager is off due to surgery. I thought these laws were directed towards health care organizations.

Hippa Laws [ 2 Answers ]

It was recently brought to my attention that my manager discussed my mental health issues in front of another co worker and asst. manager. The asst. manager warned him of discussing my issues and was quoted as saying:eventually someone may find out about your constant releasing of personal and...

Workman comp and hippa laws [ 1 Answers ]

My husband was hurt pretty bad on his job at nso fault of his own. After waiting 3 months we finally were able to go to an orthopedic trama surgeon. While at the appointment, the case nurse was upset because she wasn't allowed to go into the exam room with my husband, the doctor and me. She told us...

View more questions Search