Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kimnjake Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2006, 04:25 PM
    Confusing Story
    I had a baby 18 months ago, the father was never in the picture, nor was he listed on the birth certificate. I am now engaged to be married, and my fiancé wants to adopt my son. How would I go about this, and is it just as easy as listing him as the father on the birth certificate? Can you help me?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2006, 08:53 PM
    Your fiancé can adopt him but the bio father would have to give his consent. You'll have to make every good faith attempt to contact him so he can be given the opportunity to consent or not. If you are unsuccessful in contacting him despite your best efforts then the adoption can proceed without his consent.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Dec 24, 2006, 10:10 PM
    People in your situation, where I live, must place an ad in the news paper and run it for 4 weeks. If no contact, then you're in the clear to proceed legally with the adoption. You may want to check with the family court in your area to learn the correct steps to take to insure that nothing can come back on you in the future.
    Kae
    laydeenpurple Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Dec 28, 2006, 10:45 AM
    My sis in law put now ex-husbands name on birth cert and I'm trying to find out if that was legal or not myself.
    Kimnjake Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2006, 10:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by laydeenpurple
    My sis in law put now ex-husbands name on birth cert and I'm trying to find out if that was legal or not myself.
    As the biological mother, she can put whomever she chooses on the birth certificate as the father... it doesn't necessarily mean that he is the biological father... but that he is listed as the father. It is confusing, but unless you have established paternity, it is powerless without an appropriate adoption
    jrussole Posts: 163, Reputation: 12
    -

Dec 30, 2006, 07:51 AM
    In order to put a birth fathers name on a birth certificate representation of positive id is required by law. A drivers license and signature of said father is mainly required. I agree with Kim, it doesn't nec. Mean is he the biological father. If you marry, your husband can adopt your child. But it is important to notify the birth father. Legally and ethically.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Confusing BBT [ 4 Answers ]

Can your BBT drop below coverline and you still be pregnant? I did not think it ever could. I ovulated on 7/24 and tried for a baby then. My BBT rose after that and had been close to 98 for the last few days. Then yesterday my BBT dropped to 97.45. This is usually means my period will start...

Why is Love so confusing? [ 8 Answers ]

:confused: A couple of weeks ago I split up with my partner, Stuart of nearly two years. We lived together, but our relationship was always up and down. We both broke all the boundaries, there was love there but the way we treated each other showed that we didn't truly respect each other. ...

Confusing messages [ 6 Answers ]

I have been living with my boyfriend for the last year. We got along very well, had a very compatible lifestyle with lots of mutual affection. I was very happy. He has been under a lot of stress lately with being laid off from his high-tech job and unable to find anything, and I was doing my...

Very confusing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Joe, If you're asking about this site, it's active. What's the problem? :o

View more questions Search