Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    illinois1 Posts: 92, Reputation: 2

Aug 12, 2010, 04:02 AM
    How can I know if the cam position sensor is bad before I replace it.
    A 1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager, the service engine light comes on occasionally when the car dies when idling by a light. Better gas was purchased and the light went on while driving at like 30mph rpms fell but didn't die service engine light came on. Code suggests the cam position sensor is bad. Done some checking and perhaps it could be the timing belt, or another sensor for the cam. The cam sensor seems like it might solve the problem? I'm not sure enough to replace it for 40.00 some dollars. I've search on line and people have had similar problems and replaced it and that was just one of the many things they needed to replace before they found the actual problem.
    How do you check the car or part to confirm the cam position sensor is bad before replacing?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 12, 2010, 07:38 AM

What code was stored?
    Did following that code's diagnostic trouble tree lead to recommending the Cam Position Sensor (CMP) be replaced?
    How old is your timing belt? That may also be ready for routine service, too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where is the cam position sensor on my 97 camry [ 1 Answers ]

Where are the cam position and crankshaft sensor located on my 97 camry

To fix my the cylinder position sensor do I have to replace the whole distributor? [ 8 Answers ]

To fix the (cyp) cylinder position sensor do I have to replace the whole distributor or can I just replace the housing?

Cam and Crank position sensors on an Infiniti [ 2 Answers ]

My Dad has a 2004 Infiniti I35. The check engine light just started coming on recently. He is a car fanatic, always has been, anyway he's freaking out now. My neighbor works for Nissan and he brought home the diagnostic machine and hooked it up. He says it needs (2) cam position sensors and (1)...

1989 honda civic. (code 4)crank angle sensor.(code 8) tdc position sensor [ 0 Answers ]

The car idles randomly after warm up.I check the ecu for codes and it gives 4 crank angle sensor and 8 tdc position sensor. I did a search and one of the ad posted by a guy in Canada says that he had to get part from different vehicles until he got all of them to work properly. Will I be able to...

View more questions Search